Games that allow you to continue playing after beating the game

It does let you keep playing, yes, though there is a way to end the game once you have all the achievements.

2 Likes

I disagree, because with source code available, there’s always a lot of opportunity to cheat, but that doesn’t make those games invalid. It’s just like a walkthrough: It requires just a little self discipline to enjoy the game instead of looking up the solution.

5 Likes

Could host the game. :man_shrugging:

Drop the game file and source after a year.

On self-discipline, perhaps I’m the lone pre-7 Inform developer whose still NOT have looked at Christminster source, because, well, I still haven’t seriously tackled the binary, less so enjoyed (and solved) it, but it’s unquestionably a limit case (nutcase ?)…

OTOH, I admit that I don’t have solved Diabolical, but after roughly 40% of the story, I correctly understand that the source is more than worth the accompanying spoiler(s)… included the lone source with a substantial post-game mechanism & content.

So, I can agree with you, player-side, but I disagree developer-side (and I strongly suspect that in our lil’ community many people are eager to look to my sources…

Pink, you should understand that I’m an “OS extremist”, so source together from day 1… even at a price (more on this elsewhere later ?)

Best regards from Italy,
dott. Piergiorgio.

1 Like

In theory, I agree with you, dott. Piergiorgio. In practice, I’m not going to succeed in convincing many people to release their source at all, let alone Day 1, so I feel like hassling the folks who’ve already agreed to release their source and game files after a set amount of time is potentially counter-productive. Besides, as Veeder pointed out some time ago:

Preserving that mystery for just a little while seems like a reasonable desire. Indeed, the 2011 Hat Mystery wasn’t released with a walkthrough.

If I recall correctly, Quarterstaff: The Tomb of Setmoth allowed you keep playing the game after you beat it. Although if you got that far you probably already saw most of what there was to see.

1 Like

A game that really does continue the narrative after the apparent arrival at journey’s end is the monumental opus Ferret. On finally achieving the end of Phase 15 a revisit of your journey is required to end your Pilgrim’s Progress disquiet.

1 Like

It has an ending (that will end the game), but as long as you don’t do the final thing, you can keep on playing with a full score.

3 Likes

While it doesn’t match the letter of this request, Cragne Manor matches the spirit of it. Near the end of the game (but not at the very end), you can obtain a walkie-talkie (I think, or a radio) that lets you hear author commentary in every room of the game). So it gives you a nice new way to experience a world that you’ve mostly complete already.

4 Likes

interesting idea for implementing the favourite “post-movie”, the director’s commentary, in an IF, provided that the post-game item enabling it is consistent with the setting (e.g. a magical ring in a fantasy setting)

Best regards from Italy,
dott. Piergiorgio.

1 Like

“Beating the game” is a bit tricky to define. But I think (sort of) I have two games that could fall into this category. Strictly speaking, for an Inform 7 game, I consider anything with “continue with stuff to do” that falls outside UNDOing to be part of this.

Threediopolis allows you to search for random odd scenery after finding what Ed Dunn wants. It’s meant to be trickier than the main game, and in fact it’s much bigger. There’s no big reward or plot for solving it. It’s just there for those who enjoy the abstract challenge. But you could also argue it’s an extension of the puzzle, and “truly winning” means finding all the scenery.

A Roiling Original works similarly. After you defeat the big bad enemy in store T, you’re allowed to continue and open up Store H, which has a bunch of denouement puzzles that give a new “you win” ending.

So the question is, when do you officially beat the game? Store T, or Store H? It feels like Store T to me, since Store H was not in the original release. But a case could be made both ways. At any rate, you’re still locked out of finding bonus points you missed.

And after you defeat Store H, a new area (Demo Dome) opens up full of author commentary and reflections. But it’s not really playing, as you don’t have any puzzles to solve!

This is difficult to separate from “here’s a meta-command to see a side area once you restart.” Though I really do enjoy having that additional content.

6 Likes