Fun Forum Shortcuts

Every once in a while, I stumble across a neat way to accomplish something.

For example, when editing a message and you want to include text that links somewhere else, you can click the link (chain-link) button and get a dialog that has you paste in the link for that text.

The other day, I found out if I copy the link I want from elsewhere, I can just highlight the link text in the message and hit Paste (CTRL-V or COMMAND-V) and it will format the link automatically without any other fuss.

For example, I’ve already copied the URL for IFWiki. Now I’m going to highlight the word and just do a keyboard paste from clipboard - MAGIC. It does this formatting automatically:

For example, I've already copied the URL for [IFWiki](http://ifwiki.org). Now I'm going to highlight the word and just do a keyboard paste from clipboard - MAGIC.

Discourse, for the most part, is very user friendly and feature-discoverable by nature. These features are probably all documented on Discourse Meta, but I always find it neat when something works automatically in an easy way and can be discovered accidentally.

11 Likes

I can almost see you smiling broadly and roaring TADAAA while you were writing this post.

3 Likes

I think Wordpress has a similar feature.