[frobtads] Error compiling 1.2.3 on Debian Squeeze.

I’m trying to compile 1.2.3 (b1aa5fbe30 from git) on an almost Debian GNU/Linux 6.0 (squeeze) 32 bits. I said almost because it’s half updated from lenny, but “build-essential” package is up-to-date, giving:

[code]autoconf --version
autoconf (GNU Autoconf) 2.67

gcc --version
gcc (Debian 4.4.5-8) 4.4.5
[/code]

The bootstrap can’t be done because

configure.ac:16: error: Autoconf version 2.68 or higher is required

After bootstrapping the tree in another (wheezy) machine, I can run./configure --prefix=$HOME/opt/frobtads-1.2.3 --disable-t2-compiler make

Configure runs smoothly but make fails early:

CXX src/missing.o CXX src/osportable.o src/osportable.cc: In function ‘int os_file_stat(const char*, int, os_file_stat_t*)’: src/osportable.cc:550: warning: right shift count >= width of type CC tads2/osifc.o In file included from tads2/os.h:187, from tads2/lib.h:32, from tads2/std.h:28, from tads2/osifc.c:25: ./src/osfrobtads.h:432: error: expected declaration specifiers or ‘...’ before ‘va_list’ make[1]: *** [tads2/osifc.o] Error 1

Any hints? Do I have to provide more detailed info?

Yep, that’s the error from https://intfiction.org/t/frobtads-error-compiling-1-2-3-with-enable-static-link/5514/1

It’s now fixed in current Git.

At [frobtads] Error compiling 1.2.3 with --enable-static-link - #6 by RealNC

Great! That did the trick.

Modulo some warning (that I recall to see in the wheezy system too) everything went fine.

Just for the record, the warnings here on squeeze: [...] CXX src/osportable.o src/osportable.cc: In function ‘int os_file_stat(const char*, int, os_file_stat_t*)’: src/osportable.cc:550: warning: right shift count >= width of type [...] CXX tads3/vmbiftad.o tads3/vmbiftad.cpp: In static member function ‘static vm_obj_id_t CVmBifTADS::format_datetime_list(time_t)’: tads3/vmbiftad.cpp:2291: warning: right shift count >= width of type [...] CXX src/frob-osportable.o src/osportable.cc: In function ‘int os_file_stat(const char*, int, os_file_stat_t*)’: src/osportable.cc:550: warning: right shift count >= width of type [...] CXX tads3/frob-vmbiftad.o tads3/vmbiftad.cpp: In static member function ‘static vm_obj_id_t CVmBifTADS::format_datetime_list(time_t)’: tads3/vmbiftad.cpp:2291: warning: right shift count >= width of type

Thank you very much for your hard work and kindly support!

Greetings,
dddddd.-

The warnings are harmless. They can be safely ignored. (Though it would be better not to have them in the first place, of course.)