Forced paragraph breaks?

it doesn’t quite fix it (does anything ever do that?) but it improves the situation! that’s the way to earn yourself easy thanks to credits :wink:

that leaves only the extremely critical colour issue…

edit: ok I can kinda use the extension now to create any colour, but in the Glulxe interpreter setting the colour scheme to the usual white on blue causes coloured text to be displayed with an ugly white border, and it also screws up bold and italic text created with the usual [bold type] stuff - can’t anything ever be easy! :imp:

I think that setting in Glulxe is meant to override whatever the author has requested in terms of color, so you shouldn’t be surprised that it changes the display; I imagine the white border is intended to make sure that the colored text can still be read against the background color.

Anyway, it seems kind of silly to me to jump from z-code to glulx just to have pink text. The magenta that’s built into z-code looks very pinkish–why not use that? This is as simple as including Basic Screen Effects and typing:

say "[magenta letters]This is my pink text.[black letters] Now I'm back in black.";

Does that work?

If you can live with the color, you’ll be able to stick with z-code, which has interpreters that can be played online, on lots of mobile devices (e.g., the iPhone, Nintendo DS, etc.). The range of platforms supported by glulx is a lot narrower.

–Erik

well the border makes the text especially hard to read, maybe there’s some better interpreter for this kind of job?

you’re a lifesaver! :slight_smile: I didn’t know about magenta (first time I noticed there’s a list of colours), it’s pink enough in my eyes :sunglasses:, shame there’s no brown though

hope I don’t run out of space though, I haven’t even 2/5 of my story implemented and already 188 kb :unamused:

OK, next problem: how to set flags by choices? can’t find that in the adventure book manual

the intent is to have text in descriptions that is skipped if certain choices are taken

this question is really important, so if anybody could come forward with a solution to this basic problem, it would be appreciated very much!

say “This is text that will be printed regardless of the state of the flag[if is on], while this is text that will be printed only if the flag is on[end if].”

–Erik

yeah I know that but how do I trigger flags via choices? it is only explained for pages…

one more time:

Page =/= Choice :exclamation:

A choice called yes is for page y. “”. It triggers page Z.
A choice called no is for page y. “”. It triggers page Z.

Page Z is a page. “A choice is [[if flag X is on]not[end if] equal to a page.”

now how do I get choice “yes” to trigger “flag X”, while choice “no” doesn’t trigger it?

I really can’t make it any more obvious…

It’s there in the doc.

It’s a little counter-intuitive, but you trigger the flag on the page, not on the choice. Does that make sense?

edit: do you want multiple choices to lead to the same page, and depending on the choice, trigger flags? Because I don’t think that’s how gamebooks work, and the extension isn’t set up for that.

You could use a hacked “To say…” phrase to accomplish that effect.

@ George: I understand the extension is fairly primitive in the choice off options provided, but what I want to accomplish should not be too extraordinarily, in fact this should be extremely commonplace… but I guess the author doesn’t update it any more

could you elaborate this for me please? the reason I’m doing a CYOA first is so I don’t have to learn all the inform stuff right away…

I could, but before that: Are the two possibilities reachable from the same page?

yes, that would be the case - since if they are reachable from different pages, I can use the regular way that is implemented in the extension

one more critical problem: to include credits per “about” command as in standard if7 - I tried everything but to no avail, it just doesn’t work

[size=200]whoever can solve either this or the previous problem with the flags sufficiently will receive a FREE Promo-CD (genre: metal)[/size] of my choice!!! (I also have some retail non-metal cds if necessary)

if free cds don’t do the trick, what does? :unamused:

What did you try that didn’t work?

I said I don’t know much about I7, so I tried to copy and paste stuff from the manual, but to no avail

whatever, I’m gonna finish my game without it… the cd rewards are pending indefinitely though, might need the solutions next time

Okay, here’s a solution to your triggering-flags-from-choices problem. I think. I haven’t tested it extensively, so there might be problems I missed.

[code]Switching relates various choices to various flags.
The verb to switch (it switches, they switch, it switched, it is switched, it is switching) implies the switching relation.

Carry out choosing a number (called N) (this is the handle flags for choices rule):
if there is an option in row N of the Table of Options:
let comm be the option in row N of the Table of Options;
repeat with F running through flags switched by comm:
now F is on.

The handle flags for choices rule is listed first in the carry out choosing rules.[/code]

And then, for any choice that triggers a flag:

ChoiceNameHere switches FlagNameHere.

It’d be cleaner if we could use “gives” for both pages and flags, but the way the giving relation is defined precludes that, sadly.

Don’t worry about sending me a CD, by the way. Abject gratitude will do just fine.