First time using program, game won't play

Hi Everyone!

I just downloaded and installed Inform 7, all excited to try it. I copied “Onyx”, opened it, and I see the source in the left panel, Documentation on the right. Great. When I hit Go I get the “generating code” progress bar and then in says “generating story file.”

Then the right panel is just blank. I can’t click there (focus remains on the source code).

Any ideas?

2 Likes

You don’t say what operating system you’re using (Windows, MacOS or Linux). But if you’re on Windows, we have seen problems with anti-virus tools blocking the components that drive the Story tab.

To check, use Windows Explorer to look in the folder that Inform was installed in (usually “C:\Program Files\Inform”. There should be a folder “Interpreters” that contains three files: “frotz.exe”, “glulxe.exe” and “git.exe”. If one or more of those is missing, this is the likely cause. In that case you’ll have to see if your anti-virus has moved the files somewhere and persuade it to put them back.

7 Likes

Yes I’m on Windows and there was a weird anti-virus message when I installed. So thanks! That’s probably it.

1 Like

Yes! That worked. Thanks a bunch.

3 Likes