File Save/Load Behavior

Newbie question: I’ve learned that while developing (I use the downloaded Twine story creator software) I should use “Publish to File” occasionally so as to have a saved file that’s external to my browser.

But what happens if the Twine source file gets corrupted for some reason, or I have a hard drive malfunction? Can the Twine editor reload the story in its standard Passages display from the .html file? Or would I still have to start over setting up the structure of the Passages?

Importing the published file into Twinery (Downloaded or on browser) will show you the entire structure of passages as if nothing ever happened.

Nonetheless, I save the published files to my google drive just to make sure nothing bad happens.

Not sure if this is exactly what you’re asking so pardon me if my answer doesn’t help.

Have a great day

Lily

Turns out, it’s hard to test that. I renamed the html file, and also renamed the story in the Twine editor. But when I ask Windows to open the renamed html file in Twine, I still get a story with the original name – and I only see the one story, not the two stories with different names that I certainly ought to be seeing. So if I now start editing the file that I see in the Twine editor, what am I editing???

This is what happens when you have an app so “user-friendly” (and yes, I’m being sarcastic) that it doesn’t have a File menu. There’s a reason for the standard design of apps, and this right here is the reason.

The name of the Story (project) is included within the meta-data section of the generated Story HTML file, and because you can name that file whatever you like there is no direct correlation between the file name and the Story (project) name. The story name within the meta-data section may be used as the Title of the Story, depending on which story format you are using and the title overriding features of that story format.

When you import the contents of a Story HTML file into the Twine 2.x application the import procedure uses the Story name contained within the file’s meta-data section as the name of the generated Story (project). Again the file’s name has no effect on the outcome.

While I personally agree that having the ability to choose where to save each Story’s (project) HTML file would be good addition to the Twine 2.x application, that would not necessarily alter the fact that Story name associated with specific project is not the same thing as the file name of the project file.

2 Likes