Feedback thread for the 2022 IFDB Awards

Just and idea: I know that this might put even more work onto organizers in the future, but you can always consider asking the community for help.

It would be great with a logo and/or a certificate the author could e.g. put on their itch.io page etc.

Planeta Sinclar did something like this as you can see an example of here:

15 Likes

OMG this such a cool idea!

6 Likes

The IFDB Awards competition page is finally completed :white_check_mark:

A question about eligibility: for games with rolling releases or long-running WIPs, what would be the year for which the games are eligible? Would it be the year of first public release or the final “complete” release? What if the game is a serial which has a large amount of content released, but won’t see a final release anytime soon? I was thinking maybe the first release date and the final/complete release date could both count as eligibility years.

10 Likes

I think in the future maybe you should consider doing the system categories, or, if you keep them, aggressively marketing them. I say this because I appear to have tied for best ChoiceScript game and, uh, I believe that is an incorrect judgement of my 4-hour Petit Mort game’s quality in relation to the set of all eligible ChoiceScript games.

I think it’s selection bias in the audience of judges, which is, like, fine, nobody’s to blame or anything, but if you’re gonna have a ChoiceScript category getting a slate of judges who play a lot of that kind of game would be good.

Thanks for running this, though! It’s fun.

9 Likes

Objectivity is an illusion, and the commercial games are already ranked by sales. From the beginning, it seemed likely that the results would be skewed to those games most familiar to the intfiction and ifdb communities.

I did advertise a couple of times on the Choice of Games forum, but there is still a fear over there of overwhelming competitions, coupled with a lack of interest. If they had come en masse and voted in every competition, it’s possible every poll that wasn’t for systems would have had a choicescript game as a winner. Would that make the results more accurate? According to Cain, while a great game to us, has been played likely 100x less than most commercial Choicescript games and much less than a lot of the itch Twine community. Giving out awards at all for ‘best interactive’ fiction is just a polite lie, but it’s fun.

That’s a really good question, and I’m not sure about it. One on hand, you could vote on each ‘chunk’ as it appears, just like it was several separate games. On the other hand, a really good WIP could end up dominating for a while. Yours seems like a nice medium, but it’s different than what’s been done in other competitions, so I’ll have to think about it and encourage the thoughts of others between now and next year!

8 Likes

I guess it should be similar to the Xyzzy awards though we can perhaps be more flexible. If I wrote a game for intro-comp I don’t think it should be eligible but if voters vote for it anyway, it might be okay as long as the release of the final game gets a new “chance” in IFDB Awards.

To some, price is a negative factor so it might not be that “inaccurate”. There is no fixed definition of “outstanding”. I remember some of the old computer magazines where the final score was called “Quality/price” which would give your game an infinite score :wink:

1 Like

I can’t speak for others, but the very fact that it was written in 4 hours factored into it being outstanding.

1 Like