Favorite travel country?

Well maybe the dangerous things only go for non-residents as I seem to have survived these last 70 years or so. As for flying, I’ll join you in a car. A recent trip to Queenstown NZ had us landing in a snowstorm. Not even Elvis did that much rocking & rolling. I was hanging on to the seat in front of me with a white knuckle death grip and didn’t appreciate the guy beside me saying ‘We might have to go around and do it again’.

4 Likes

Once upon a time, two buddies and I drove an old car from St. Louis, Missouri to Managua, Nicaragua. Passed through the whole lengths of Mexico, Guatemala, Honduras, and El Salvador en route (missed Belize). Quite an adventure! The volcanic Lake Atitlan and Antigua, Guatemala were highlights. We donated the car, they stayed there to do volunteer work at an orphanage and I flew back after a couple days.

Also, @pinkunz , flying above rainy clouds is definitely special.

4 Likes

I’ve done a lot of travel, and my wife has a knack for finding good deals on travel. When she suggested Albania, back in 2021, I was a little skeptical. But it was absolutely the most amazing place, a fabulous intersection of cultures including Greek, Italian, Turkish, and Chinese (yes, Chinese, during the Cold War, communist Albania shifted their alliance away from Soviet Russia and toward communist China.)

Fabulous place to see antiquities and ruins that were hidden from the rest of the world throughout most of the 20th century.

5 Likes

I don’t travel too much, and never more than about 3 timezones away, which is great for avoiding jetlag! About to take my fourth trip to Japan though, and while I still can barely speak the language, it is starting to feel like a familiar place.

4 Likes

Did you see any of the infamous bunkers while there? I’ve read that some have been repurposed.

1 Like

There are hundreds (probably thousands” of bunkers) all over the countryside. Most are too small to be repurposed. Two of the larger ones are now art and historical museums, which we visited. I’ve heard some of the midsize bunkers are now bars and restaurants, which we did not see.

2 Likes

Awesome. Im planning to go there in October. New Year plan to learn some Japanese…

2 Likes

England a few years ago was fun. I went there with my father.

I thought English cooking is bad, but I was proven totally wrong. We ate phantastically in pubs. And I mean not just very good, not just excellent, but phantastic!

Once we slept in a castle hotel. The way to our rooms was by stepping into a bookshelf! Like in a Harry Potter movie, or like Narnia!

One day we visited a world war 2 museum. It was very awkward to see photos of soldiers killed by my nation. And they were expecting a plane to land and be integrated into the museum. They told us it would take 30 or 45 minutes until the plane would arrive. So we decided to not stand around and await the plane. Later I found out it was a Harrier, who starts and lands vertically! I absolutely would have loved to see a Harrier land vertically direct in front of me. Wrong decision…

2 Likes

Today I learned phantastic is a British variant of the American fantastic. Either way, I’m glad you enjoyed yourself. Do you recall which dishes made such a strong impression?

Yes.

• Chicken Massala (They learned colonial dishes.)
  • Roast veal, the tenderest meat I’ve ever eaten.
  • not to forget Toffee Pudding

Two pubs with great kitchen:

• The three black lions or so (Google doesn’t like me so I couldn’t look up the exact name.)
  • The Spotted Ox
    Both in rural Yorkshire.
1 Like