Fallout 4 releases on november tenth this year - excited

I’m losing my sh-t over this. Hopefully, I’m not the only one.

Anyone else counting down the days?

Wow, that’s a big-ass picture!

I’m excited for Fallout 4, but I am probably not going to buy it right away. Fallout 3 took me about 2 1/2 years to complete the main quest, playing off and on. I might wait for a deal. Fallout is one of the few RPGs I didn’t grow tired of in the first hour, but it took a long time to get started.

I recently replayed the first two games in the series. 4 is interesting in that it’s going to scrap the number-based skill system and expand its system of perks. A lot of the traditionalists are up in arms about ‘dumbing down’ but I think picking perks makes for a more interesting and more obviously impactful decision when you level up.

I am patiently awaiting the release disappointment, as with every other Bethesda game. It’s gonna be a trainwreck of a game at release. A barely playable mess.

It will become playable most probably by early 2016 (patches + must-have mods that fix the most glaring issues.)

For that reason also I’m delaying a purchase till I hear reviews and the game is steady.

I love me some Fallout, but I’m not going to be buying at least until the New Year. (It’s got zombies in it - feral ghouls are totally zombies, which are off-limits to me until then. Also, my desktop machine probably needs some spring-cleaning before I ask it to bite down on a brand-new AAA game.)

Recently, I’ve been thinking about where I’d set a Fallout: England game (which, let’s face it, Bethesda would never make outside of some cringy DLC). London is too obvious and too much work to render properly. The area around Newcastle though already has post-apocalyptic-sounding place names with enough landmarks to make for some distinctive scenery, but enough emptiness for some proper wastes.

There’s Dead but Alive! Southern England. And ZombiU. And Everyone’s Gone to the Rapture! Which, for maxing annoyance, is set in the land of my adolescence, rural Shropshire - but is a PS4 exclusive.

I’m still holding out for a Riddley Walker game, myself.

Sir, You Are Being Hunted is very post-apocalyptic England-ish. (Also currently in the Humble Indie Bundle.)

Ah yes, indeed. I still think that my own rural-English-placename generator is superior, but nobody’s perfect.

I’ll skip on that one. Bethesda’s games are very shallow on the story and Fallout 3 was a disaster.

Plains are boring, use the mountains. Even the rocky hills are better than plains. Except when you’re doing The Day of the Triffids.

Norwich.

… wat.
I think you’re confusing the CoD guys with Bethesda.

I played Fallout 3 for a while a few years back, really liked it, took a break one day and never went back. So on one hand, I’m definitely looking forward to Fallout 4 based on what I played of Fallout 3, on the other it’ll probably be a while till I actually get around to playing it.

On the subject of Fallout 3, did anyone here ever play the text adventure in the game? I remember reading about that but never got far enough into the game to play it myself.

I saw it but I don’t think I properly played it (wrong kind of screen for reading extensively).

It was fun, but there was a lot about FO3’s story and world building that could have been better executed: the railroaded ending, the narrow range of factions compared to older games, Tenpenny.

… IF people that didn’t like FO3 because of the way story is presented xD sorry, I giggled.

Although, yeah. A lot of the story is out of reach and you have to go out of your way to get to it - it’s just a reward for doing something extra, making the world more real (and validating the effort you put into it with equal return of investment, storywise).

Might be alone on that, but I don’t care. Come onnnnnn, Fallout4!!!

I certainly enjoyed New Vegas way more than FO3. (‘Become reconciled with your absentee father’ and ‘yay giant robots’ are among my least favourite story points.) Though I’d probably have enjoyed it way more if I had visited Washington DC before. (That said, when I finally visited the Vegas area I immediately felt ‘man, this feels like New Vegas.’ When I finally visited DC I didn’t go ‘man, this feels like FO3.’)

I like the explorative storytelling aspect to all the Fallout games: more of the world is revealed to you the more you poke about. That’s how sandbox games work. And there’s a lot more besides that I liked about the game. My problem is with some specific design decisions they made (uh, ‘problem’ is maybe too strong, I’m not gnashing at my screen, there were just things that they did better in the other games). Specifically:

• At the end of the game your radiation-immune allies (supermutant, ghoul or robot) refuse to enter the radiation chamber: you’re railroaded into sacrificing when there’s a perfectly straightforward alternative where no one dies.
  • There’s no slideshow ending as in other Fallout titles.
  • There are only two main factions: power-armoured good guys, and power-armoured bad guys. In the other Fallout titles, there’s a much larger range of factions with competing aims.

I felt like there were lots of mini-factions: raiders, mutants, cannibals, vampires in the underground, the tiny community of Arefu in the sky, the slavers, the kids of lamplight, androids, the rich in the tower, the ghouls…

Although you said main factions. There was no shortage of disparate communities.

That’s true. And the individual communities were mostly quite distinct

Fallout 3 had the AntAgonizer and the Mechanist.
/topic #win

all the stuff interweaving, like going from Atreyu to find that dude and how you bring him back, if you bring him back, or the big town stuff and later coming back on it with paradise falls…

fuck I don’t wanna spoiler this game because even after all these years it’s still freaking phenomenal, but it’s an impressive narrative feat that you can play this game in any order and still get a fully coherent and immersive story out of it.