Extracting sounds from old gblorb

I’ve been looking at a few older games using sound and, with authors’ permission, modifying them to work with Bisquixe.

One of those files has only the gblorb, with all original sounds having been lost. I know that blorbtool can manipulate blorbs, but I’m honestly lost on the commands.

If I run gblorb on the file in question, it pops up with a Python 3.1.2 shell. I try the different commands, but I can’t figure out how to export the sound files:

Any clues on what to type here?

2 Likes

I think it’s case-sensitive: it’s a Snd chunk, not a snd chunk.

1 Like

Snd is the “use”, OGGV is the “type”, and the number is what’s shown in the second column. So:

export Snd 60 snd60.ogg

2 Likes

Thanks, I’ve now got it to work!

2 Likes

Great!

The distinction between “uses” and “types” is convoluted, but comes in handy particularly when dealing with zcode version 6 sounds/resources, where the story file wants to be able to refer to things as “sound 3” or “picture 3” with potentially overlapping numbers and without caring in more detail whether the picture happens to be PNG or JPEG.

2 Likes

If you just want to extract the files, there’s a very useful tool called gblorb.ulx that makes this a doddle. You can download it (source and executable in a zip file) from the IF Archive. Here’s the direct link.

1 Like

Thank you, I believe this will come in very handy in the future!

1 Like