[Extension] Automated Testing

This is the thread for talking about Automated Testing, an Inform 7 extension.

It can be downloaded from:

inform7.com/extensions/Roger%20C … index.html

Cheers,
Roger

Excellent…a whole new thread.

First thing I noticed is that the module requires Text Capture by Eric Eve, but this is not mentioned ETA: in inform7.com/extensions/all-extensions-by-title/. So I got an error on first build–a small inconvenience, but as a user I’ve copped out for equally silly reasons.

Second thing I noticed is that Automated Testing kills transcription, at least while debugging Inform 7. My build is 6E72. This is down to Text Capture. Only building with that module ruins transcription. I don’t know if there is any way around this but quick control-Fs didn’t reveal anything in the documentation of AT or TC stating that transcription is zapped, or how to get around that.

Now Text Capture works OK in release mode on Windows Glulxe. So I’m not sure if this is a known problem or limitation in Text Capture, or a regression. But it’s a potential problem for testers, at whom this script is directed. Building for release is a workaround, but it’s slow. I should probably ask Eric Eve about this.

Third, if there is a quasi-transcript file where all the text gets dumped, could this be clarified? It would at any rate be useful to have a file stating “[bad output chunk] failed the Regex expression [response]” – or at least an option to print more verbose information on the screen.

Thanks again–these points have in no way stopped me writing or thinking up test cases.

I’m looking into the transcription issue. Thanks for the heads-up.

I feel kind of dumb about asking this–I didn’t realize transcript didn’t work, period, on even a blank file. So never mind this. I don’t know what I was thinking, or how I figured out what I did.

Transcripts fail in Inform 7 testing in any case. Even with a blank file. I imagine that is by design. I had assumed they worked. Sorry for wasting your time with this & thanks again–I’ve been using this module, but I neglected to update this topic.

Can you be more specific about what’s happening with transcripts? I’m not aware of any issues using transcripts in the Windows I7 IDE (it works fine for me on the Mac), but maybe if you can say just what’s going wrong, someone will be able to help you.

To eliminate the obvious: Are you sure you’re invoking the transcript function correctly? Viz., TRANSCRIPT or SCRIPT ON from the command line while the game is playing, or “try switching the story transcript on” from source code:

When play begins: try switching the story transcript on.

This probably isn’t the problem, but I thought I’d ask, just in case…!

–Erik