Errors compiling "Bronze"

Hello,

I am trying to compile Emily Short’s Bronze from the source she has posted online. However, I am receiving many errors related to Section 5 of the source.

I am using Inform 7 6G60 on Windows 7. I don’t think the source is the problem since obviously many other people have managed to compile it. But, I can’t find any solution.

The source is directly from: inform-fiction.org/I7Downloa … source.txt

The errors which are reported are below.

Thanks for any advice on getting this to compile.

Christopher

This is the report produced by Inform 7 (build 6G60) on its most recent run through:

In Section 5 - Go To (any room):

Problem. In the sentence ‘if heading is not a direction begin’ , I was expecting to read a condition, but instead found some text that I couldn’t understand - ‘heading is not a direction’.

I was trying to match this phrase:

if (heading is not a direction - a condition):

This was what I found out:

heading is not a direction = something unrecognised

Problem. In the sentence ‘let destination be the room heading from the location’ , I was expecting to read a description of directions, but instead found some text that I couldn’t understand - ‘heading’.

room (heading - direction) from/of (location - room)

heading = something unrecognised

location = a non-temporary variable, holding an object

Problem. You wrote ‘silently try going heading’ , but ‘going heading’ is not an action I can try. This looks as if it might be because it contains something of the wrong kind. My best try involved seeing if ‘heading’ could be an object, which might have made sense, but it turned out to be something unrecognised.

See the manual: 7.4 > Try and try silently

I was trying to match one of these phrases:

1. silently try (going heading - an action)

2. silently try (going heading - stored action)

going heading = something unrecognised

Problem. The ‘else’ or ‘otherwise’ here did not make sense inside a ‘while’ structure: it’s provided for ‘if’ (or ‘unless’).

See the manual: 11.8 > Otherwise

Problem. You wrote ‘try going heading’ , but ‘going heading’ is not an action I can try. This looks as if it might be because it contains something of the wrong kind. My best try involved seeing if ‘heading’ could be an object, which might have made sense, but it turned out to be something unrecognised.

I was trying to match one of these phrases:

1. try (going heading - an action)

2. try (going heading - stored action)

going heading = something unrecognised

Problem. The ‘else’ or ‘otherwise’ here did not make sense inside a ‘while’ structure: it’s provided for ‘if’ (or ‘unless’).

Problem. In the sentence ‘while the map region of the location is not the noun and the player is not in the goal begin’ , I was expecting that ‘map region of the location is not the noun and the player is not in the goal’ would be a condition. It didn’t make sense as one long phrase, but because it was divided up by ‘and’/‘or’, I tried breaking it down into smaller conditions, but that didn’t work either. ‘map region of the location is not the noun’ was okay; ‘the player is not in the goal’ did not make sense; so I ran out of ideas.

while (map region of the location is not the noun and the player is not in the goal - a condition):

map region of the location is not the noun and the player is not in the goal = something unrecognised

You’re looking at the older Inform web site. If you get the source from the current site, inform7.com/learn/eg/bronze/source.html , it will work.

(Be sure you choose “Z-code version 8” in the setting pane.)

(I don’t know why the working version is labelled “release number 12” when the older version is “release number 13”.)

Thanks so much – problem solved!