Error Message - You Must Supply A Noun

The subject message has started popping up at every entry (>) starting with the first one. There does not seem to be an associated error condition, i.e. nothing that was working is now not working.
I have searched without success looking for a source or a cause. Has anyone encountered this ghost? :sunglasses:

Greg

Do you have any custom commands that might be interfering with the prompt’s default behaviour?

When this happened to me, it turned out to be related to an action that I was having an NPC try to do. Something like:

[code]Creeping is an action applying to one thing.

Every turn:
Try Margot creeping.[/code]

It might not even be a custom command, though.

Let’s revisit this problem. I still can’t seem to find a solution.

Have you tried the debugging command “actions” to find what action is generating the message? Or, at a finer level of detail, “rules all”.

Actually the problem has nothing to do with NPCs performing the action or the action being a custom action. This will give the same problem.

[code]“Test”

Every turn: try cutting.

The Testing Room is A Room.[/code]

What’s going on here is that you have defined an action to apply to one thing, then not supplied that thing, therefore the noun is still nothing and the error message is given.

There are three ways you can fix this.

1. You can add a rule for supplying a missing noun to automatically set the noun, like so.

[code]“Test”

Creeping is an action applying to one thing.

Rule for supplying a missing noun while creeping: now the noun is the person asked.

Every turn: try creeping.

1. You can supply the noun directly, like so.

[code]“Test”

Creeping is an action applying to one thing.

Every turn: try creeping the player.

1. You can redefine the action to apply to nothing, like so.

[code]“Test”

Creeping is an action applying to nothing.

Every turn: try creeping.

Overall, you need to make sure you have the right number of nouns to fit the action.

Hope this helps.