Eric Eve's Convo Suggestions issue

Hey, I’m still diggin’ Eric Eve’s convo extensions. But I’ve run into another issue. I want certain topics to unlock at certain times, but after one action that should unlock one topic occurs, ALL the topics are getting unlocked. Here’s my code: (the “incidents” listed are a kind of thing called a “document” in my game)

the first incident is an unfamiliar thing.

the second incident is an unfamiliar thing.

the third incident is an unfamiliar thing.

the fourth incident is an unfamiliar thing.

the fifth incident is an unfamiliar thing.

instead of examining the first incident for the first time:
	now the first incident is familiar;
	continue the action.

instead of examining the second incident for the first time:
	now the second incident is familiar;
	continue the action.

instead of examining the third incident for the first time:
	now the third incident is familiar;
	continue the action.

instead of examining the fourth incident for the first time:
	now the fourth incident is familiar;
	continue the action.

instead of examining the fifth incident for the first time:
	now the fifth incident is familiar;
	continue the action.

Mother Matheson is a patroller in Mother Matheson's Room.  Mother Matheson is female.

the ask-suggestions are { first incident, second incident, third incident, fourth incident, fifth incident, }.

Mother Matheson is aimless.  the drive of Mother Matheson is 40.

the openingcapability of Mother Matheson is withkey.

any help is appreciated! Note: if you try to compile this, you would need Michael Callaghan’s Patrollers extension.

You don’t need to make these items familiar this way. If they are examinable, they should already be familiar. Just having them listed in the room should be enough to flip that flag. If you don’t want them to show up in the topics list until you’ve examined them, you have to do it another way. You could create a set of subject objects like ‘first-incident-subject’, but then you run the risk of wonderful disambiguation prompts like ‘Which did you mean, the first incident or the first incident?’. The best way would probably be to add the item to the ask-suggestions directly.

Before examining a document (called the incident):
   Add the incident to the ask-suggestions of Mother Matheson, if absent.

Awesome! Thanks! :smiley:

I will try it out!

Posting on this thread again because I have another question re: Eric Eve’s Convo extensions.

Just a minor issue here:

instead of doing something other than looking or taking inventory or examining or saying hello to or listing suggested topics or quizzing Haker while in the Clearing:

This is the portion of code that I7 is hating on right now. It’s definitely to do with the “quizzing Haker” (haker is a character).

It apparently doesn’t like “quizzing” as the root verb, but everything else I’ve tried doesn’t work (asking Haker, asking Haker about specific subject, talking to Haker, etc).

Anyone else use this extension? The documentation isn’t helping or I’m just blind and missing it. Thanks!

I’m pretty sure that the problem is that you’ve got a bunch of actions with no noun and then you’ve got “quizzing Haker,” which has a noun. If you’re or-ing together actions then either none of them should have nouns or all of them should have a noun (and I think it has to be the same one). This is covered (a bit) in section 7.8 of the documentation. (Which also means it’s not an issue with the extension specifically.)

I think the way to do it is just drop “Haker” from the rule and then write another rule that blocks quizzing someone who isn’t Haker (“Instead of quizzing in the clearing when the noun is not Haker:”).

Ahhh, thanks, man. I will try that in a bit!

okay, thought I had it, posted that I did, but I didnt, so I deleted the post, but NOW I have it. I had to add both “quizzing” and “implicit-asking”. Thanks for the help!