Enter to Release more Text and other questions

Concerning your Scenes-Question, as far as I understood the general concept:
As you use Rooms and (in larger scale) Areas do divide your story spacial, you can use scenes to divide your story in time. Like in theater plays. The simplest example I can think of would be a Day/Night-shift (and each scene with different rooms the pc can access, different sounds to hear etc).

But using scenes is no must (it’s only an extension to make programmer life easier^^), and one can write the entire game without them, then progressing the story is done by more low-level coding I think. And if you’re just writing a very small game, maybe the scenes are just too much at the beginning.

Well, there is a reason that adv3Lite comes with a tutorial. Perhaps it would help you if you first worked your way through it?

Thanks Plg it clarifies it up, a little bit, but still not wrapping my mind around it; is there any open source game that shows scenes in action being used; does anyone know of any?

Hey Eric, I have, I’ve read it 3x’s now along with the Adv3Lite Library Reference (which I haven’t read I just click through when I need to). I’ve also got the Adv3Lite Quick Start guide which I’ve been going through; I’m just terribly anxious when it comes to programming, and struggle through it, but I have big goals so I’m trying; but my question on scenes remain.

I just don’t understand them, and how they would work, in action: but I want to and google search doesn’t bring on anymore expansion on them, so they are still not demystified for me. My last post broke down all the areas where I’m confused and not sure of, so if anyone can help demystify that or point me to an open source game with scenes I’d be eternally grateful :slight_smile: <3

The Airport game which the Tutorial walks you through would be an obvious example.

Thanks Eric. What airport game/what tutorial? Is it part of one of the Adv3 Lite books that exist? Do you have a link to it?

The Tutorial I’m referring to (which in an earlier post you said you’d read three times, which makes me suspect we may be at cross-purposes somewhere) is one of the books that comes with adv3Lite. If you open the adv3Lite bookshelf in your browser it’s the second one down, called “Adv3Lite Tutorial” (or you can find it on line). This is the Tutorial I suggest you work through (not just read through), i.e. by creating the games it walks you through so you start to get a feel for how to use TADS 3/adv3Lite. It contains a practical example of a Scene in one of the later chapters, but I think you’ll find the earlier material helpful as well.

Ohhhhhhh, I seeee!! The book I’m referring to that I’ve read 3x’s is “Learning T3 Lite” I keep it open along with Adv3 Lite Library Reference, and the Adv3 Lite Manual, and more recently the Adv3 Lite Quick Start Guide. (in my head I’ve just been calling it the Adv3 Lite book in my head and forgot about the Tutorial one until just now so didn’t make the connection xD)

-opens up the Adv3 Lite Tutorial-, thanks Eric, that’s a good Idea, I think. This should help a lot!!