Enjoying TADS 3

I am enjoying my exploration of TADS 3 using the Adv3 library. It has a trick up its sleeve for just about every eventuality.

7 Likes

I love the adv3 library! I know it’s gotten some knocks for being a little too in-depth at times… but I haven’t found that to get in the way. I’ve made a few modifications of my own that simplify using RoomParts.
Am I mistaken that you’ve had TADS3 experience before? Did you only use Lite in the past? Anyway, glad to hear you’re enjoying it!

2 Likes

I’ve made a number of conveniences and enhancements that I’m hoping to post on here at some point… have you seen my posts about resettable events and listing macros?

2 Likes

I’ve picked up TADS3 again (with Adv3Lite) and it’s a lot more fun than I remember it being. Maybe because of programming experience in the meantime?

Does most everybody use Workbench? I’ve wondered what it would be like to develop a non-Workbench debugger (which is great in Workbench).

1 Like

Hi John,

I have used the adv3lite library. After playing Thaumistry I decided to give the adv3 library a try. I am hoping to have at least two game ready to go for comps this year.

I will check out the TADS section and find your macros.

Thank you

2 Likes

I’ve still never tried Workbench… on a Mac and I’ve never fiddled with what’s involved trying to download Windows and run it through something virtual… I frequently imagine ways that I could get more done in an editor environment that I dream up, but I still manage all right with an editor like BBEdit. I can’t imagine not having multi-file search…

2 Likes

TADS 3 and its workbench are one of three apps for which I continue to use Windows. I use my RPi for almost everything now that version 4 is so capable.

I lean on the workbench editor highlighting and auto indention to help keep me within bounds.

I typically use VIM for I6. Workbench is just too convenient with TADS.

1 Like

Just a random thought…with the announcement that IFDB is moving it seems like MJR is winding down his IF involvement (of course this has been the case for a while with Tads).

Maybe it would be worthwhile for Tads users to focus their effort regarding access and development for tools and resources?

I’m not really sure what that would involve to be honest but I’m interested in hearing what people think.

2 Likes

MJR is releasing the operation and maintenance of IFDB to the IFTF. But is still retaining control, operation and maintenance of TADS IF and its website. He holds the author and copyright holder for TADS it is not open source.

Fortunately, it is very stable and remains fully functional. I would like to see the HTML version of the games modernized. Maybe it will happen?

2 Likes

Mha, I will appreciate a tads 4 (together with a new drifting, of course :wink: ), but I love pure text (that is, curses-based) IF 'terps (indeed I use Frob as main testing 'terp, then I check with gargoyle tadsr and Qtads (the latter being by far the best Linux HTML TADS 'terp), so is best keeping the dual (console and HTML) output of TADS.

Best regards from Italy,
dott. Piergiorgio.

I have worked through most of Eric Eve’s Getting Started text. A lot of great stuff there. The conversation mode is challenging. I didn’t get everything to work as expected with the burner. But it all worked out with the shopkeeper.

I am now working through the Tour Guide. It is a much more detailed follow on text. The TADS 3 library is just so rich! I am gaining so much that I may be able to use in my developing games.

I now see why Bob Bates chose TADS to develop Thaumistry.

TADS is an idea factory!

2 Likes

I think the adv3 library is a pretty amazing work of art… I feel like it deserves more popularity than it gets.
When I first starting learning TADS3 (which was also the beginning of learning programming for me…) I found the Learning TADS 3 guide to be more immediately helpful than the other docs…

1 Like

Agree on the burner. Eric’s example is a bit cumbersome, IMO mainly because he wanted to introduce the proper/generic name differentiation (with the more limited pre-v.3.1 string embedding…) and I admit that I got lost there, and in the end, I understand better TADS’s powerful NPC and conversation coding somewhat later, in studying the Tour Guide…

IMHO, 3.1+ string embedding should be the focus of a major documentation rewrite, because is a dramatic improvement of TADS’s adaptive text capabilities (now second only to Inform 7)

Best regards from Italy,
dott. Piergiorgio.

1 Like

Hi Piergiorgio,

Thank you for your input. I thought I was missing something in the Getting Started text. I went through the burner conversation a couple of times with the same result.

The Tour Guide gives examples of string embedding that are quite helpful. I will pursue that further as well.

v/r Jeff