Ectocomp 2021

Congratulations to all the winners!

This year’s EctoComp was my first experience of making a time-limited game and it was so much fun to do at a time when I was too busy to make a big game but was missing the experience of getting something finished. The Petite Mort category was such a great opportunity for that! I too was very impressed with what everyone managed to get done in four hours.

7 Likes

I was absolutely stunned at what people can do in such a tiny amount of time. You even got graphics done. There are some very good coders and fast fingers with a lot of great ideas in this comp.

5 Likes

Congrats to everyone, especially the winners @MiloM and @Afterward! I feel like it was a high-quality year across the board, and I loved every game I played.

Personally, I’m glad my game was well received despite being my first solo effort, and I can’t wait to do this again next year.

4 Likes

I am very grateful to everyone who voted. I wish I could send them all little medallions or something. It really means a lot to me.

11 Likes

Congratulations to winner, second, third, fourh… and everyone who has developed these games, played, voted and supported the jam.

7 Likes

Congrats Ryan, a well deserved win! So much effort put into that game!

1 Like

Wow 8 whole people played my game.

It’s interesting. My top 3 favorite Petite Morts were-- in no particular order-- All the Colours (which won), Return to Castle (which placed right in the middle), and Psyops, Yo (which placed 13th). So my predictions for ranking ended up majorly right for one and majorly wrong for the rest, including my prediction that I would come in dead last, which I’m pretty sure I deserved, given the amount of writing in and quality of everyone else’s games.

2 Likes

One of them was me, and I really liked it. I was surprised it didn’t place higher.

1 Like

I liked yours Amanda! I do think that it lacked something in quantity, but the quality was really good! If you ever decide to flesh it out I’d love to play more.

And to be honest, I see making parser games as some kind of dark art, so the fact that you made anything at all in 4 hours is amazing to me.

1 Like

You’re in luck! https://ifdb.org/viewgame?id=klw3ibwft87uttk3

4 Likes

Aw, thanks. It just makes me sad that a game with as rich and thoughtful a story as Fat Ass, or a game with such well-thought-out puzzles, like Pysops, Yo, would come in so low when both of those are way better than mine. Piggybacking on the words of one of the greatest poets in the English language is what saved me, since I’m a slooooow coder, hence the teensy gameplay.

3 Likes

Congrats to everyone who produced a game this year and @Ruber_Eaglenest for organising it! My personal fav was Lido, but so much spooky goodness to go around, as usual lots of great games :smiley:

@Arlan- My advice is to read and comment on other’s games if you want to increase the chances of getting more feedback yourself. (If you didn’t already do this). In my experience, people are more likely to read/vote/leave a comment if you’ve also showed an interest in what they’ve written too.

3 Likes

One of the first things I did after both IFcomp and Ectocomp was get angry about scoring higher than games which I thought were better. It’s good to hear I’m not the only one XD I’ve learnt a lot about subjectivity this last week, and not all of it has been to my liking.

Also thanks @Encorm for doing Amanda’s marketing for her :stuck_out_tongue: I’ll check it out tomorrow!

4 Likes

I didn’t think authors could rate other works in the jam.

I am objectively awful at parser games, so the teensy gameplay suited me just fine! I was excited to see the updated version pop up on IFDB, and doubly excited to shill it to everyone else. :smiley:

2 Likes

Unless it’s changed, I’m pretty sure from memory you can rate any work but your own and comment on any of the games including replying to comments left on your own game. (Someone can correct me if I’ve remembered wrong or it has changed.) Ectocomp is a friendly little jam. One of my favourite things about entering is being able to interact with others and read what everyone else has done that year.

2 Likes

Congrats to everyone who entered the Ectocomp. It was fun being able to play through some of the new games.

I was looking on the IFDB, and it seems like almost all the games for this year’s Ectocomp link back to Itch.io. If possible, I hope the authors can upload their games to the IF Archive and link them back to the IFDB. Maybe it’s just me, but I like being able to play parser games through iplayif.com

3 Likes

Me too. I prefer downloading and playing from ifdb. Itchio is a enormeous database witch lacks of useful filters for IF games.

1 Like

I forgot to say … thanks for holding this! EctoComp is always fun for me because I never really care about where I place. I mean, I care about having something cohesive and worth playing.

I just want to do something that I liked. And I did! It definitely made up for missing the deadline last year. I’m glad I was able to judge, too.

On to that post-comp release, now.

ETA: oh yeah, next year I’ll try and not leave 15 objects with the default description. I blame the time constraint :slight_smile:

4 Likes