Ectocomp 2021

Oh yeah I should have checked the rules! Thanks.

1 Like

Hey people,

As always, thanks a lot to the community, that is amazing, the games are up at IFDB.

https://ifdb.org/viewcomp?id=3mtp3tftcyautizn

I will add the Spanish games, little by little.

Remember to provide feedback to the authors.

Thanks a lot!

10 Likes

Soā€¦ as always, ratings come slowly. There are still 11 days for the end of the competition, so letā€™s make an effort to help those games in need.

Just remember that Textualiza account is for Spanish interactive fiction, so thereā€™s no ā€œofficialā€ account in English to promote the comp. Also, I always thought of ectocomp as an ā€œinside compā€: It is by and for the community.

Anyway, the other day we did streaming of some Spanish ectocomp games in Spanish, over Twitch TV. We got some fun. So maybe someone would want to host a similar show for the English games. The idea was to only play the ones where the devs were present and wanted to talk in public about their works. Probably this next Friday weā€™ll continue to stream the rest.

Also, reviews and feedback at itchio game pages are fine, but letā€™s be clear: they are not optimal, so I highly recommend doing threads here, or doing blog posts, or summing up your reviews at IFDB. Also, you can just peruse and read other opinions on the rest of the entries.

Last, I donā€™t see anyone using the hashtag #ECTOCOMP or #ECTOCOMP2021 for shameless promotion. Donā€™t ask for explicit votes on your game, but you can point to it and the rest of the games.

Thanks for listening!

PD: If need it I can extend the voting period to have more days beyond the IFCOMP.

8 Likes

Iā€™ve been through a lot of games but havenā€™t rated anything yet. Iā€™d like to review what I can, but sometimes I just have little more to say than ā€œthis was neat!ā€ or ā€œI got it!ā€

Part of me would like to note how to make games easier to play, or how to circumnavigate bugs but I donā€™t want to be That Guy pointing out where his competitors messed up.

For instance, in one twine game, you will want to clear the previous hourā€™s cache or use a new web browser to restart and try all the choices. Is a centralized ā€œbugs to get aroundā€ thread or post appropriate for this?

I think the number of reviews is quite good. It may not be at 2020ā€™s pace, which was 16 per game (plus we were all really staying in,) but I think itā€™s well ahead of 2019ā€™s, which got 9 reviews per game. 2018 got 9 1/2. We are at 6+ less than halfway in.

Still, letā€™s do what we can to boost it, eh? Iā€™d love to see EctoComp continue to grow, whether Iā€™ve entered or not.

5 Likes

I certainly wouldnā€™t feel that way as an author. And that makes life easier for your fellow players. And Iā€™ll point out I was totally that guy with my review of WEW, and it never occurred to me that it would look like I was trying to run down the competition. Although, erm, I donā€™t think anyone thinks my game is much in the way of competition.

3 Likes

This might be my game (although I know Iā€™m not the only one to make this mistake!). Personally Iā€™m happy to have it pointed out regardless, and to have the workarounds publicized since Petit Mort games canā€™t be updated (itch doesnā€™t play nice with incognito mode so Iā€™m glad thereā€™s other options besides enabling third party cookies!)

For Petit Mort entries I know Iā€™m more inclined to laugh at my mistakes rather than feel self conscious about them - with the time limit itā€™s almost inevitable. And Iā€™m never going to forget a restart button again, so itā€™s a good learning experience!

4 Likes

You found some good stuff, and I appreciated it, and itā€™s in my post-comp bucket, which will be fun to attack!

Yes it was and it wasnā€™t much inconvenience at all. I definitely wanted to see the other paths through. And yeah, live and learn! So thanks for mentioning itā€™s okay.

I know I also had issues with timed text causing Firefox to just stop midway through Twine IFComp entries, and that was more serious. Though for that, zapping the regex (after:[0-9]+s) greased the wheels, and I was able to enjoy them without having to restart.

Itā€™s tricky because I donā€™t think anyone really worries about it/marks down for it as long as they have a workaround, and weā€™ve probably all been there ourselves with just missing something, and I think the vast majority of us would rather have workarounds then get all ā€œoops, auto-1 rated!ā€ (Now I think of it, people who want to do 1-rate will find an excuse to anyway. Troll raters gonna troll rate.)

1 Like

Honestly, Iā€™m just glad that my game is interesting enough to be worth the workaround!

Sommelier Nuit also has this problem and I like that one a lot otherwise so I hope this helps get them more attention.

1 Like

I adored this one. What a great idea.

Ouch. That just seems mean for games made in 4 hours. I loved the hilarious messiness of the Petite Morts. You know everyoneā€™s game is going to suffer somewhere (length, interactivity, writing, bugs, etc), so part of the fun is seeing where people really threw their efforts.

2 Likes

ā€œThis was neatā€ is something I would want to hear from my game XDDD

3 Likes

I think you can do both.

Create a thread about the topic, and point it to the users so they can improve the accessibility of their games.

2 Likes

I just realised thereā€™s only a few days left for voting. This month has been really busy and gone super fast! Have to try and sneak a few more game plays in before the deadline :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Ok.

I have extended the end voting day, till Nov 25, Thursday.

Some games are in dire need of votes and feedback, so please, use this URL to help you decide what to play:

Thanks!

8 Likes

Thanks for extending it! I just started the Spanish games and they are so good! Very creative, too

3 Likes

2022?

3 Likes

Uh, hey, the message I got (and also your post) says that voting ends on October 25. I donā€™t think itā€™ll be genuinely confusing but just thought it might be good to change that.

Oct 25 2022 is a Tuesday.

2 Likes

October II: The October-ing

ā€¦it was the 13th hour, of the 13th day, of the 13th month of the yearā€¦

1 Like

fixed. but we live now in the ectober year.

6 Likes

Thanks for adding a few days! I admit I was using the pre-IFComp awards period to touch up my own entries.

Weā€™re at 9 exactly (207/23) now, and I havenā€™t put my votes in yet, which would make it (just under) 10. Iā€™ve had fun wit what Iā€™ve seen.

1 Like