Ectocomp 2021

The more games the better, IMHO.

Your game sounds perfect.

1 Like

Thanks for the clarification!

2 Likes

A question about the submissions formā€¦if I upload my game to the Itch-io page, will it stay unreleased until the deadline?

IF you upload your game it will be published for itchio, BUT it wonā€™t be displayed at ECTOCOMP page till the end of the comp.

It is weird, but itchio behaves like that.

That is, everyone in the world will see your game, but in the proper competition site :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ok, people, you can use this thread for spreading the word:

4 Likes

We have passed the equator for #ECTOCOMP2021

There is still time for terrifying or supernatural interactive stories.

But remember that the works must be ready for the celebrations of October 31st.

Keep up the good work!

5 Likes

Welcome to Intfiction. I look forward to your participation.

I feel real dumb but I canā€™t figure out how to submit my game on itch.io. Iā€™ve put it up as a draft, but itā€™s not showing up in the submissions drop-down box.

Do I need to fully publish my game before I can submit it? I didnā€™t want to do that because EctoComp has a ā€œpreviously unpublishedā€ rule and Iā€™m pretty sure that if it works on the same rules as IFComp making my game public on itch.io would count as publishing.

2 Likes

Yes, you must publish it before submitting it to the comp. I think Iā€™m going to clarify that in the rules.

Anyway, the game will not be ā€œlistedā€ in the ectocomp webpage till October 31 :wink:

Thanks!

1 Like

Iā€™m thinking of maybe streaming (on Twitch) myself writing my Petite Mort entry so some friends can laugh at my incompetence, would that violate the rule about previously published work, given that it would mean people could have watched it being made?

4 Likes

Not an official answer, but Iā€™m pretty sure that not only is it allowed but that itā€™s a great idea and should be encouraged!

3 Likes

Pretty confused about how to join the jam. I made an itch.io account and uploaded my game to it, but joining the jam wants me to upload it again? So upload it twice?

I remember it being rather confusing but Iā€™m sure you only need to upload it once. I think you have to set your game to ā€œpublicā€ before you can submit it to the jam.

I had no trouble putting it on itch.io, but how do I actually submit it to the jam? I donā€™t see anywhere to connect it to Ectocomp. Will I see that option once I make it public?

Hosting a game jam - itch.io

1 Like

nope.

1 Like

Hereā€™s what I see when I press the big submit game button:

If your game isnā€™t in the Existing game drop down, then I think you need to go to the ā€œedit gameā€ page (via the dashboard) to set it to public:

2 Likes

Yes, you must make it public. Then the join button will allow to upload it to the competition.

The game will not be listed on the jam page till the 31th.

3 Likes

Got it! I think I have successfully done it. Iā€™m slow, but I persevere.

3 Likes

I think the confusion is itch is set up to submit already-published and existing games to ongoing jams. The software will let you submit anything. Iā€™ve seen older games submitted to new jams, but it has to be available and playable to submit.

1 Like