Ectocomp 2021

Please, help spread the word to our interactive fiction friends. Thanks!

2 Likes

Just two days to go!!!

Come on!

4 Likes

Hurry up, there is almost no time left. O_o

We’re at exactly 12 reviews per game now. Go, us!

I was pleasantly surprised to see comments from fellow entrants in a feedback thread for each of my games over the past couple of days.

I know it took me a while before feeling okay rating my fellow competitors’ entries. But I think I felt a lot better once I realized I didn’t remember what rating I gave what entries.

1 Like

I kinda had a similar experience, where I played a few games when the comp closed, did some ratings. I came back more recently and saw my ratings and for some of them I was like, “I don’t remember playing this.”

Then I replayed a couple and was like, “But…why did I rate that game like this?” I don’t know what that says about me, or the games, or my rating process. Actually, no, I think it says that I can’t remember anything under 10 minutes in duration.

1 Like

If anyone needs somewhere to start, I did short reviews of all the Petite Mort games here.

There are spoilers in them.

6 Likes

I think we still need our whole time alone for reviewing and voting ECTOCOMP. So, since this year I will always set a whole month for ectocomp reviewing.

Thanks!

That seems reasonable. I just checked, and back when I ran the competition (by email, with plain text judging sheets and handwritten calculations with lots of crossings out) the judging period usually ended on November 30th, with results on December 1st.

2 Likes

oh! nice information.

Could you also provide me statistics on participation? if you consider, maybe in private. Thanks!

Oh, I’d have to go through my notes! It won’t happen immediately, but I’ll see what I can do. Today I don’t have any work booked, so I’m playing as many of this year’s games as I can!

1 Like

ah… you can kindly forget about this (or not) I mean, we are not in a hurry, and it is just curiosity to see how we are behaving through the years. To have a more broad information than the one I have at itchio.

So yeah, it is probably better to play the most of it! Thanks!

I wish I’d written this up sooner, but … here’s a map for The Deer Trail. It may be spoiler-ish, as I only used directions from the walkthrough, so there may be other connections. Not sure where else I could put it.

Deer Trail

[/spoiler]

Wish I’d have had more time so I could’ve mapped out a Castle Balderstone sub-game or 2. Maybe this will help someone, last-minute-like.

Oh yes: 310 total votes! 13 1/2 votes per game!

The results are in:

https://ifdb.org/viewcomp?id=3mtp3tftcyautizn

You can check them either at the official ECTOCOMP site, or at IFDB.

2 Likes

Congratulations to @Akinis for winning the La petite mort this year with All the Colors of the Rainbow.

Congratulations also to @Afterward for winning Le grand guignol with The castle of horrors of Dr. Terror… oooops, I mean, Even Some More Tales from Castle Balderstone!

In the Spanish section we have:

Winner for La petite mort: Por las calles de Madrid, by Clara Cordero. Congratulations!

And the winner for Le grand Guignol: La casa del caballero by Eduardo Lobez. Congratulations!

Congrats also to all the runners up! And by that I mean, all entrants. It has been another amazing year for ECTOCOMP.

Thanks!

13 Likes

Congratulations to Akinis, Ryan, Clara and Eduardo! I’m glad I got the chance, at the eleventh hour, to play and judge most of the English language games. There are some real gems this year! Well done to anybody who entered a game.

8 Likes

Well this was unexpected! Thank you so much to everyone who judged, and thank you @Ruber_Eaglenest for organising! Writing a game in one evening was as fun as it was stressful! (so very fun!) And thanks to all the other authors for letting me read your work, what you petit mort entrants can do in 4 hours is truly amazing!

(I’m Akinis by the way, I forgot I made that other account a few years agao XD )

8 Likes

Congratulations to @MiloM, @Afterward and Clara and Eduardo for winning and to all the participants for entering a game!

Thanks to @J_J_Guest for starting ECTOComp and three cheers for @Ruber_Eaglenest for running it! ECTOComp was, as always, a lot of fun and I’m glad I finally managed to make a Petite Mort game that didn’t instantly (well after 4 hours) turn into a weeks long Grand Guignol game.

11 Likes

Congrats, @MiloM ! And you were worried it was too dark. Good for you!

5 Likes

Congratulations to all the winners!

This year’s EctoComp was my first experience of making a time-limited game and it was so much fun to do at a time when I was too busy to make a big game but was missing the experience of getting something finished. The Petite Mort category was such a great opportunity for that! I too was very impressed with what everyone managed to get done in four hours.

7 Likes

I was absolutely stunned at what people can do in such a tiny amount of time. You even got graphics done. There are some very good coders and fast fingers with a lot of great ideas in this comp.

5 Likes