ECTOCOMP 2014

I just posted a failed Ectocomp game to IFDB. (It took about 4 hours to finish.)

ifdb.tads.org/viewgame?id=a7ysdefal48plt1z

Most excellent! I have also posted a failed Ectocomp game to IFDB. It is here. I took way, way more than 3 hours on it…

OK I made an IFDB page for my game, but I gather the upload to the games archive needs to be approved.

http://ifdb.tads.org/viewgame?id=iksbtn1l4wpryu7

Hooray Dave! Yes, I think the upload to archive.org will take a while. Until then, I think we can just point to the zip containing all the games.

Also hooray for failed EctoComp games! I may get through the regular ones first, though.

Bowsmand, permission to link the Ectocomp2014.zip from my IFDB page?

I say go ahead! [emote]:D[/emote]

I put mine up as well (ifdb.tads.org/viewgame?id=87kh7s3bczbdi1i). Looks like there’s no page for Ectocomp 2014 yet, though?

I’ve updated my entry so it can be played on the web without installing anything. Other than that it’s no different than the version in the .ZIP file, but it can be seen here:

http://david-good.com/IF/ectocomp14/carriage/

I added a competition page, so now new games can be added. We probably shouldn’t worry too much about alphabetical sorting until everything’s there, but anyone willing to do a bit of extra work, it’s appreciated.

ifdb.tads.org/viewcomp?id=e5dj3yvlrykixs1e

Has anyone posted reviews of these games? I’ve had zero input on “Carriage Returns” so I don’t know how well it was received.

Reviews will come in. Judging doesn’t end until the 22nd, so there’s plenty of time.

I’m going to set about over the week to create pages for all of the games entered that don’t yet have pages, with just a placeholder text (“Entry in Ectocomp 2014”) for the description. I’ll also add them to the competition page (thanks for making that). Authors should feel free to create their own pages on their own initiative if they wish, and to edit at their will any pages I might create that belong to them.

Last year’s topic, people generally dumped all their reviews at once. I’d expect a few to come in over the first weekend, then just before judging ends.

ETA: somehow, I missed the post above! I blame the page-split. I know some people reviewed immediately.

I just filled out the judging form and sent it to Bowsmand.

IFComp is still going, too. Some people (by which I definitely don’t mean me, no sir!) might still be caught up playing and reviewing those and have put Ectocomp on hold until they’re done.

Yeah, Ectocomp is definitely fitting in between Comp reviewage for me right now. (I mean, I’m playing some of the Ectocomps - here’s Jacq and I doing an LP of Choose Your Own Death - but getting Srs Comp Reviews done comes first.)

That reading is hilarious, by the way. (Entertaining material to work with, of course!) Now I’m starting to imagine the awesome potential for audio twine games…

Thanks! We tried a couple of other games first, but they didn’t work too well extempore - a lot of umming and ahhing while we tried to figure out what was going on. Easy, silly games are kind of a gift in that regard.

Group gaming IF seems to be a lot of fun. I’ve never tried any outside of ClubFloyd (which is fun too), but I think playing verbally adds something special.

One of my game ideas is to write something meant to be played by a group all looking at the same screen. Maybe a Google hangout app or something. Though it would have be sufficiently funny material (Choose Your Own Death) or just plain ridiculous (oh, to be a fly on the wall for Emily’s Slasher Swamp experience!).

/derailment

Things I’ve found that really grow in in-person group play are:

• amusingly bad (Slasher Swamp, Kallisti): you can all snark at the game together, and at one another’s appalled reactions
  • funny and good (Dinner Bell, Violet): things are funnier when other people are laughing at them
  • good-sized puzzlers (Gun Mute, Plundered Hearts, Anchorhead, Treasures of a Slaver’s Kingdom): good on road trips, or when you’re stuck inside on a rainy day. Puzzles are quicker when you’ve got multiple heads working on them.

That’s interesting. I wonder if games can be written to be ideally played in groups, or if there can be an option at the beginning of the game for group play.