Easy way to show "previously visited passages" without the links?

Sorry in advance because this sounds like a very noob question, but I’ve been looking into this for a little while and haven’t had any luck!

I’m using Sugarcube on Twine 2.

When I try to use the <> function, it ends up including the links that I have in the last passage too which…is not what I’m looking for?

I was about to start using some of the “visited” functions, but I haven’t found the docs to be quite as useful enough for my usecase, and I got confused.

In short, what I’m trying to do is a “chat” type game. User is interacting with the computer, but I’d love it if every new passage still displays the thread of everything else that came before. For now, I’m literally copying/pasting every passage into the next one – and adjusting things based on variables and decisions – but there has to be an easier way, right?

What am I missing?

Thank you in advance!

1 Like

Sorry, this forum tends to “eat” SugarCube macros unless you wrap them in a “Preformatted text” block (the </> button in the edit menu), so I can’t see what function you were trying to use in your above text.

That said, it sounds like you want the old “Jonah” style formatting.

If 1) you don’t need a back button, 2) it’s OK if it doesn’t show the history when you load a save, and 3) you aren’t doing anything particularly complex with your code, then you might want to take a look at the answer I gave in response to the “Modify scroll down JS code” post in the r/twinegames subreddit.

It’s a fairly simple trick to achieve the effect you want, though it does have the above limitations.

Hope that helps! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thank you! I think that sounds just like what I’d been meaning to achieve! I’ll add it to my code and see how it turns out. Thanks again!