Eamon games for IF players

Many IF players don’t like randomized combat and/or RPG elements and therefore they might have ignored Eamon games so far. Eamon games are text adventures, usually with stats and randomized combat. More than 270 Eamon games exist. If you ever played Leadlight from IFComp 2010 (also an Eamon game), you should have an idea of how the combat works.

I should also mention, that the games are quite old-school and they have mostly a two-word parser. The games tell you which verbs are understood, so no verb-guessing.

Thus I would like to propose those Eamon games, which might still be of interest to IF players:

1. The only Eamon game (to my knowledge) without any randomized combat and no stats is The Heart of Gold by Frank Black (earlier Frank Kunze). It is a spoof on Hitchhiker’s guide to the Galaxy, pretty fun. Some time ago, I put a review on IFDB: https://ifdb.tads.org/viewgame?id=kpyglj46kwoyv97l

The other games mentioned below, are either low on combat or have lots of standard IF puzzles:
(Either I’ve played them or found reviews from Eamonag )

NOT SO MUCH COMBAT, MORE PUZZLES:

• Journey Across the Muerte Sea (Good, I’ve played it)
  • Attack of the Kretons (Good, I’ve played it)
  • Thror’s Ring (Decent, I’ve played it)
  • Storm Breaker (I’ve NOT played it)
  • Shift Change at Grimmwax (I’ve NOT played it)
  • Utterly Outrageous (I’ve NOT played it)
  • Idol of the Incas (I’ve NOT played it)
  • The Pixy Oak (I’ve NOT played it)

LOTS OF PUZZLES BUT ALSO COMBAT:

• Leadlight (Good, I’ve played it)
  • Redemption (Very good, I’ve played it)
  • A Runcible Cargo (Good, I’ve played it)
  • Banana Republic (Good I’ve played it)
  • Expedition to the Darkwoods (I’ve NOT played it)

I have also heard, that most of Tom Zuchowski’s games should be low on combat (e.g. Thror’s Ring), but I have only tried a few a long time ago.

PS: If you are playing an Eamon game for the first time, it is recommended to read the non-spoilery “General Help” (type HINTS) as it gives some useful information on the non-standard parser.

9 Likes

Thanks for this. I have been tempted many a time by Eamon, but I never actually played a game. (Indeed, at least partly because of combat and stats)

Are these all games in a loosely connected series, or is Eamon actually the game system?
Also, I think I remember reading something about a central hub/bar/introductory room?
And something about carrying your character over from one adventure to the next?

As you see, I have a bunch of vague associations with Eamon. I think I’ll just try one of your recommendations and take it from there.

5 Likes

Aaand I just downloaded Leadlight. My this looks professional! An extensive PDF printable booklet, coded hintsheet, retro colour scheme and pixelated font…

No wonder the author upgraded it to a commercial Glulx file. (Leadlight Gamma; gettable on itch)

3 Likes

Story wise they are not really connected. Eamon is a gaming system. The games are connected via “The Main Hall” where you can create or restore a character. There you can buy weapons, armour, spells etc etc. When you feel ready, you can play a game (called "go on an adventure) and when you return you can sell your loot for even better weapons etc.

The Eamon system has been remade several times. I recommend playing Eamon Deluxe(Windows and Mac) as it has a LOT of games and only few bugs. You will have to enable some of the adventure sets to play them but that isn’t so difficult (some sets are included but not enabled because they had not been upgraded to work with screen readers (I think)). Just ask if you need help.

1 Like

That is a good one to start with - really a quality game.

1 Like

Aaaand I have also put Eamon Deluxe on my computing machine. Loved how in the hall, you get the choice of registering at the desk or drinking with the men.

Will work out how to proceed from there later today. Must now convince self that other stuff is more constructive use of time.

2 Likes

This link explains how you can enable the disabled adventures in Eamon Deluxe:
Eamon wiki on Deluxe

1 Like