Down, the Serpent and the Sun postmortem

Thanks for that! I probably won’t add anything into the credits for this snake game, but I do intend to add something for the other new game I’m writing.

This question doesn’t quite belong here, but since we were already talking about the Table of Final Commands, I didn’t want to make a whole new thread on the help board just for one silly thing.

What I wanted to ask is if there’s any way to remove the “undo” command from the Table of Final Commands only if the player is victorious. So UNDO would show up if you get a “bad” ending but it would be gone when you get a “good” ending. Right now I only know how to remove it for every ending.

I think so. Here…it’s a bit pseudocode-y

[code]When play begins:
choose row with a final response rule of immediately undo rule in the Table of Final Question Options;
now the final response rule entry is the allow undo on bad ending rule.

this is the allow undo on bad ending rule:
if best-ending is true, the rule fails; [or whatever boolean you define for winning the game]
the rule succeeds;
[/code]

Sure! As per example 382, “Finality,” all you have to do to remove the “undo” command from the list is to blank out the relevant row of the table. You want to do this only if the story has ended finally, and as far as I can tell the natural place to check this is after printing the player’s obituary (this is The End or whatever). So:

[code]Abusotron is a room. “All you need to do is look at yourself and you’ll be fine. Above all, don’t jump.”
Instead of examining the player:
say “Well done, you.”;
end the story finally.
Instead of jumping:
say “For heaven’s sake! You lose.”;
end the story.

After printing the player’s obituary when story has ended finally:
choose row with a final response rule of immediately undo rule in the Table of Final Question Options;
blank out the final question wording entry.[/code]

(And it’s fine to make a new thread on the help board for one silly thing.)

You guys are amazing! I was playing around with something similar to “After printing the player’s obituary when story has ended finally”, so I plugged that right in and it worked like a charm. I don’t know how many different wordings and grammar tweaks I had tried without getting anything to stick.

Hopefully this is the last knot I’ll need to untangle for my Spring Thing game. Thanks so much for the help!

If you want to ask a question but you don’t want a thread for it (although creating a new thread is totally fine, acceptable, and what all the cool cats are doing) you may also want to consider IFAnswers.