Do you replay IF games?

Quite a few gamebooks I’ve played have required me to draw a map to navigate my way around. It’s pretty rare admittedly but it does happen.

3 Likes

What also needs to be taken into consideration here is how much replay value a game has. Let’s say a game has three different endings, triggered by your in-game decisions. That’s more than sufficient for me to instantly give it another go, especially when you feel the ending you achieve on your first play-through is a bad one.

On the other hand there is interactive fiction that is as linear as a book can be, you begin on the first page and end on the last page. You can come back to these after a few years but I rarely do it, as much as I rarely reread books. Though I think it depends on how far away the experience is from your current self. I recently started going back to Stephen King’s classics, which I read all in the early 90s. I didn’t remember much from Needful Things or The Stand and I was able to experience them as if it was new content. Note: my brain is not the best so this works for me but it might not work for everyone :smiley:

A game I always love to come back to is Trinity. To me the best IF piece ever written.

3 Likes

I was surprised, thought I should not have been, to see people had made maps of the Fighting Fantasy gamebooks and posted them on the internet e.g. noting where you need to find a certain special item to get the best ending.

I generally don’t replay stuff if I don’t review it. But then I likely do so, at least a bit. Though then I may only replay a chunk that particularly confused or heartened me, or I just run through quickly. Often I suspect I’m missing an important point, and I want to be fair to the author if I am expressing a public opinion.

4 Likes

If I like them, and especially if they’re on the shorter side, yes. I reread books and rewatch movies, so IF really isn’t different. And even if the story is linear, you can still pick up on details you either didn’t notice or that took on new meaning after reading the ending.

3 Likes

I put Never, but that isn’t strictly true, although it is very very rare. I think most of the IF that I’ve replayed have been Zarf games. Nearly all the rest have been Legend games that I’ve played through and reviewed for the Adventure Gamer blog. I’m also not counting beta-testing, of which I’ve done quite a bit, which often involves a “normal” playthrough and a “try to break things” testing playthrough.

Aside from that… meh, only so many hours in the day.

4 Likes