do not describe (again) what is on the (thing).

Hiya!

I’ve got a desk. It is a supporter.

the things on the desk are described after you examine it… which sucks because I put it in the description so it’s got a nice flow through it.

I can keep it from being listed (again) when it’s in the room description but is there a way to stop the game from automatically listing things on/in a thing?

does it have anything to do with the “examine supporters rule” ?

SOLVED (i think) the examine supporters rule does nothing. but if i messed up feel free to point it out

Look up “omit contents in listing” in the doc.

The very easiest way to handle this is to use a bracketed reference to the object(s) in question within the supporter’s description. This will set the supported objects as “mentioned”, so the locale description machinery will not repeat it later.

[code]“Example”

Someplace is a room.

A dresser is in Someplace. “An old but serviceable dresser is set against one wall here[if the hairbrush is on the dresser]. On it lies a forgotten [hairbrush][end if].”

A hairbrush is on the dresser.

test me with “look / take hairbrush / look”[/code]

i did that, but it gave me double listings… it would say what’s on the desk in my bit, and then paragraph break and autogenerate a listing of what’s on the desk.

That’s odd, I get the correct behavior on version 6L38. Are you using the latest Inform 7 version? And does the above example behave as it should if you compile it by itself?