displaying object added to room as result of action

I’m having trouble in displaying an object headed to her room drain the course of an action. When examining a specific item an object is moved into the room. The object is not being displayed after the room description. I know that the object has been moved to the room since it appears after the next player issued command.

How do I get the item to be displayed at the conclusion of the turn in which it has been moved into the room.

Thanks in advance for the help.

I’m not entirely sure I understand the question. If examining the desk causes the key to be moved to the room, then by default the key won’t be mentioned in the turn when you type “x desk,” because you’re not printing the room description at all that turn. If you want something to be printed when the key moves to the room, you should just have the rule that moves the key to the room print some text, like this:

Office is a room. A desk is in office. A key is a thing. After examining the desk: say "A key falls out from behind the desk!"; move the key to the location. Test me with "l/x desk/l".

it had slipped my mind that the room description is not being displayed on that turn. Easy enough to display it in the examining message.

Thanks for the reply.

If you want the whole room description to be printed on that turn, you could always use “try looking” after moving the object to the location – but you probably don’t want that.

it definitely is cleaner displaying the new object text as part of the examining rule instead of displaying the complete room description.

But I will make note of the ‘try looking’. I can think of a few occasions where it may come in helpful.

Thanks for the reply.

Just to be a lil bit obsessive:

If I’m not wrong, the “move the object to the location” is a now deprecated action, although it works fine (up to now).
You should use “now the item is in the location”, which has the same effect.

“Move … to …” is not deprecated; even though the documentation points out that “now …” is more flexible.

(It’s “change … to …” that is deprecated in favour of “now …” – and the procedural rules phrases “move … to before …” and “move … to after …” are deprecated, too.)