Displaying descriptions in a timed fashion which may or may not be acted upon

I’m working a new game idea in which a player may or may not respond to a series of timed room descriptions…such as on a cart, moving down a hallway, in which the user is presented with a series of brief descriptions that she may or may not act upon.

Message 1: you are passing a picture of Dorian Gray
possible response: go a direction
if no response in 3 seconds, a second description is displayed
Message 2: You are now fast approaching a Van Gogh painting
3 seconds to respond.
etc…

is this even something that’s possible? I can’t even think of a way to phrase it to find something like this in the manual.

You could use “every turn” rules:
http://inform7.com/book/WI_9_5.html

Is this about what you’re looking for, or have I misunderstood?
And welcome!

1 Like

Every turn rules do what they sound like: you can print something after each player action. (Or, if you do a little bit of counting, every second or third player turn, or what have you.)

Printing something after some number of seconds is harder. By that time the player is in the middle of typing their next command. Or maybe they’re still reading the previous description. Depends how fast they read.

Interrupting input is possible but it’s very hard to make it feel right for every player.

1 Like

YESSSS! That and the tied example of a foosball table is just what the doctor (and thankfully not Kervorkian) ordered.

Thank you so much, and thanks for the kind welcome and super quick response.

awesome…yes, I think I’m on the right track now. I will have to play around with this for sure. Thank you for your quick response.