Deep Reinforcement Learning for IF

There is one more requirement for the games I could use, I guess: I do need to access the data rather quickly, meaning I need to be able to download the HTML (+ javascript etc.) game files locally and make the game data (HTML + js + … source) a part of an open-source repository (currently under MIT license). I don’t really know how the customs in the world of IF licenses. If there is no mention of licensing, can I use the game source code?

I would obviously try to contact the author, but they might not always reply. Thank you! :slight_smile:

The most common case is that authors release the compiled game file without source code.

If the game source code is available, there’s usually a license attached. (Zork and Colossal Cave are exceptions, as they predate the codification of “open source” as a legal device.) (Although gitlab.com/esr/open-adventure popped up recently, as it happens.)

I’m currently only looking at HTML-published games. It is true that the code is ‘compiled’, but it is often easily readable and changeable.