Creating new "phrases"

Is it possible to create new Inform7 “phrases” that contain “escaped” double-quotes?

The new Vorple allows one to inject new HTML code segment into the webpage.
The syntax is similar to: open HTML tag “div” called “buttonCode”
I’d like to parallel that when creating a phrase to erase the HTML code segment.
Unfortunately; Inform7 doesn’t like double quotes in phrases, but will accept two consecutive single quotes.

Here is some test code I set up to demonstrate the concept.

[code]“Erasing an HTML code segment: tag.class” by Gary

[This is a test harness for trying ways to set up a command to erase what was added via:
open HTML tag “div” called “buttonCode”;]

To erase HTML tag ‘‘div’’ called ‘‘buttonCode’’:
[Doesn’t do anything yest. Just trying to mock up the phrase.]
[Note that the double quotes are actually two single quotes, which Inform7 appears to permit.]
say “The HTML tag to be erased is tag=‘div’ and class=‘buttonCode’.”.

When play begins:
[Doesn’t do anything yest. Just trying to mock up the phrase.]
[Note that the double quotes are actually two single quotes, which Inform7 appears to permit.]
erase HTML tag ‘‘div’’ called ‘‘buttonCode’’.

Example Location is a room.
[/code]

Don’t you just mean:

To erase HTML tag (tagname - text) called (classname - text):
	say "The HTML tag to be erased is tag='[tagname]' and class='[classname]'.".

When play begins:
	erase HTML tag "div" called "buttonCode".

If you want these phrases to not have arguments – to only have fixed, literal definitions – then the cleanest I7 syntax would be

To erase HTML tag div called buttonCode:

…and skip the quotes entirely.

Thanks for the reply, Zarf.

In the new VORPLE there is a set of commands that allows the user to control the creation of HTML code.
One is of the form, open HTML tag “[element]” called “[class]”.
where: [element] is a valid HTML element and [class] is an HTML class name specified by the user.
I’m trying to parallel the syntax when adding a programming command to erase the HTML code formed by the noted command.

One reason is that while the user can create the code and embed active elements, javascript/jQuery is the only way to get rid of them. For instance; one might not want user-programmed buttons hanging around after their usefulness is over. The other is that I’m trying to do this in a way that I can easily explain to others and maintaining the “symmetry” of the coding language will make that easier.

New phrases are created with the syntax zarf mentioned.

You can look in the Vorple extension to see how it defines the phrases:

To open HTML tag (name - text) called (classes - text):
	execute JavaScript command "vorple.parser.openTag('[name]','[classes]')".

Generally everything Vorple does on the Inform side can be found from the extensions; there’s nothing Vorple-specific built in to Inform.

Thanks, Juhana. You and the group have really been patient and helpful. I really appreciate that.

I think I’m actually getting to understand how to approach extending the syntax now. Before diving into programming an adventure, I like to write myself a library of Inform7 “primitives”. This allows me to concentrate on writing the actual Inform7 adventure and not get drawn off-topic by pausing to program extensions/commands.

Next step is to tighten up all the code for the above “primitive” library. The objective is to not add any commands that I can do with what is already available and to keep any new commands “Vorple-like” in their syntax, if possible.