could someone explain how inform 7 builds a blank table?

Hello,

To explain: you can build a blank table by saying

table 1
number number number

with 96 blank rows

or

table 1
number number number

with blank rows for each thing

but you cannot say;

with blank rows for each… man, room, person or anything else, the all problem out with something like.

Problem. In the table 1, the entry ‘with blank rows for each room’ is not something I recognise, and should either be a value, or a kind (such as ‘a number’), or a blank entry ‘–’.

Given that thing is a kind and person is a kind of thing I am baffled as to why. I even tried defining my own kind but this also probelms so it looks like ‘with blank rows for each thing’ is hard coded somewhere, but where and how? I looked in tables.i6t and couldn’t see anything obvious.

Why do I ask, well I currently have a table with blank rows for each thing and a lot of things, its horribly wasteful as I only want a table of people and portable things, not scenary, fixed in place things etc.

As the “with blank rows for each thing” syntax is not documented and used only once in the Standard Rules, I assume it’s meant only for internal use.

Hi,

Thanks for the quick reply, it does look that way and I guess I’m being a bit lazy as I could count the number of entries I need and just use the numeric way.

It would be nice to know though.

Unfortunately it can’t be used for other kinds. Would be a good suggestion to add at uservoice!