Concours de Fiction Interactive Francophone 2023 reviews and thoughts

That’s the end for me!

I liked a lot of the games in the comp. I’m going to mention my top 3 games below, but they definitely the objectively best games; as a non-native speaker, I am drawn more to games with understandable language and nice visual assistance like colored text or images. For instance, I gave Virule in the Spanish ectocomp a lower score because I was turned off by its dense and complex language, but it was a lot of acclaim from Spanish authors for that very reason, due to the intricacy and subtlety of its language, which I simply couldn’t grasp.

With that in mind, I really liked DOL-OS, Le Harp de Dieu Rouge, and Retours vers l’Exterieur. There at least two other games I considered including here, so if you’re game is not on this list, there’s a good chance it was going to be.

I loved the exploratory structure of DOL-OS and the faux-file system, and I especially liked the mystery, with everything being confusing at first but slowly all the parts coming together at once.

Le Harp de Dieu Rouge had a lot of depth, including side topics that weren’t directly part of the main story. Lots of worldbuilding, lots of alternative options for things, multiple endings, cool magic. This was a great game.

Retours vers l’Exterieur also had some epic piece-it-together mysteries, and learning to use the Computer system was nice. The inclusion of visual puzzles is not something I generally prefer, but it worked well here. I found the ending satisfying.

Thanks to all the authors!

7 Likes

Great work playing and reviewing all of these!

I agree that those three games are very good. I’ll hold off until the votes are public and then I’ll do a short debrief-post about the Concours with my top games.

Again: I really admire the level of engagement you show in completing the entire Concours, especially alongside all the other IF-related stuff you’ve hoisted on your shoulders.

Much appreciated!

6 Likes