Concealed items and canned responses

So I have a letter with “writing” as a part of that letter. The letter is in the player’s locker, so logically the player wouldn’t be able to read it as long as it’s in the locker. I make the writing part concealed, which works fine, but when I try to have Inform say “You can’t quite make out the writing at this distance” when the writing is concealed, it doesn’t recognize it. Instead it say “You can’t see any such thing.” Even stranger, if you read the letter (really “read-lettering” the letter since read triggers examine which triggers the description) works even though “read-lettering” redirects to examining the writing. Also, if you examine the letter again even if you examined the writing indirectly by “read-lettering”, Inform will not say “A letter left by Timmy.”

[code]The description of the letter is “[if we have not examined the writing]A letter probably left by Timmy or a brain-dead chicken, judging by the handwriting[otherwise]A letter left by Timmy[end if].”

Understand “scrawl” and “scribbles” and “handwriting” as the writing.

The writing is a part of the letter. Rule for deciding the concealed possessions of the letter:
if the letter is carried, no;
otherwise yes.

Instead of examining the writing:
if the writing is concealed,
say “You can’t quite make out the writing at this distance.”;
otherwise
say “Urgent. Deliver this to Susan.”

Read-lettering is an action applying to one thing. Understand “read [letter]” as read-lettering.

Instead of read-lettering: try examining the writing.
[/code]

x locker
A locker that stores your prized possession, your lunch, on most days. Today, however you see a letter instead.

x letter
A letter probably left by Timmy or a brain-dead chicken, judging by the handwriting.

read letter
You can’t quite make out the writing at this distance.

x writing
You can’t see any such thing.

read writing
You can’t see any such thing.

take letter
Taken.

read letter
Urgent. Deliver this to Susan.

read writing

x writing

x letter
A letter probably left by Timmy or a brain-dead chicken, judging by the handwriting.

I’m not so sure where I went wrong. The read-lettering simply redirects to examine which apparently doesn’t work…and even when it finally works when the letter is in the player’s possession the description of the letter doesn’t change.

Also is there another way to separate read and examine since read-lettering is fairly ridiculous?

“Concealed possessions” isn’t really meant for that kind of thing. It’d be easier to separate the examining and reading actions (see example 281 in manual chapter 16.3.) and then restrict reading the letter whenever you need to:

Instead of reading the letter when the player is not carrying the letter: say "You can't quite make out the writing at this distance."

Thank you so much. I can’t believe I didn’t see that.