Compile AGT troubles

I am currently using AGT. I have the source code but every time I try to compile the PA3 files via COMPILE.PAS I get an Error 71 message- “Internal Stack Overflow.” No tinkering with settings in the files or with the compiler has had any effect.

It is the Turbo PASCAL compiler which uses DOSBox, here is its own info:

Welcome to Turbo Pascal (With DOSBox)
Free compiler and development environment for Pascal
Copyrights (C) 2017-2020. Luu Nguyen Thien Hau.
Free and open-source under the terms of MIT License.
Version 7.3.5

It seems close, but no cigar before the error. So far I’ve simply removed some meta-commands I am not using, but since it WAS compiled elsewhere it must be something I’m doing or don’t know about.

It was suggested I try DOSBox-X, but I just downloaded it and have not yet been able to use that compiler with that other DOSBox.

Can anyone help? Thanks.

A couple of questions:

1. What version of AGT are you trying to compile?
  2. How much Pascal do you understand? You might be able to ask for debugging help on another, more general-programming-related forum.

Unfortunately, my personal ability to assist is limited since I don’t know Pascal. The AGT section of the IF Archive has quite a few files and I would need to start from the same base as yourself.

Sorry for the delay.

It is AGT 1.7, the Big version, although it seems regular 1.7 has the same problem.

I understand some PASCAL, as it reminds me of Commodore BASIC and Javascript. I have been able to make some alterations, including that text-color change command. I just want all the special commands in there.

I’ve been told to use something called “TPE.EXE,” as part of Turbo PASCAL, but I’m not sure where to find it or even where to look.

Well, “TPE.EXE” was a pretty vague hint, but I dug up something called the Turbopower Programmer’s Editor. From the description, you should be able to use it to discover where your modified AGT is breaking.

I hope this helps.

NB: While the link I posted is itself safe, I cannot vouch for the file download itself. Please exercise caution.

I’ll give it a try, thank you!

1 Like

Good news- after considerable tinkering, hints and help from here and GitHub, trial-and-error, logical guesswork, and some moonlight and mandrake I managed at last to compile the COMPILE.EXE file using TPC.EXE!

So that problem is solved.

It cannot compile RUN.PAS- it ignores related files- but the first compiler can. It’s a bit clumsy, but it does work.

Right now I’m trying to fix a problem with AGT: when trying to put two nouns with the same word together- PUT GREEN GEM ON RED GEM- you get the error message YOU CANNOT PUT THE GEM ON ITSELF. Clearly it is going by the word rather than the noun number, they are different. I just have to figure that one out…hey, I did fix the “press ENTER and you always answer the question” problem, so why not?