Commercial Comp?

That’s an issue I’m conscious of, yeah. It’s also a problem with comp games vs. non-comp games, and games that presented themselves well to the community vs. games that did so very ineffectively (see Endless, Nameless, which somehow managed to be a game that everybody who played liked, but few people felt enthusiastic about picking up). But commercial games do have the toughest time of these.

(Counterexample: 1893. I acknowledge that a single Best Setting victory from eleven years ago may not be very heartening. But I will be very shocked indeed if Hadean Lands doesn’t compete strongly.)

But I don’t think that XYZZY voters are likely to start buying those games just because there’s a category in the XYZZYs. I certainly don’t think that anyone will start making commercial games because of the existence of a category. And then you have a ghost-category problem: if there aren’t that many serious candidates, nor many people voting for those candidates, is the category relevant? (I’m already thinking about changing or doing away with Best Individual Puzzle for this reason.)

Fair enough. It’s probably also true that the XYZZYs are more valuable to hobbyists making free games and trying to get them noticed, than people making commercial projects, for which there exist quite a lot more review channels.