[Collective play]: Worlds Apart

[code]>x me, stand up, i
You can’t see yourself very well without a mirror, and what you can see is somehow blurred and unmeaningful to you.

You stand up and look around, as your surroundings slowly come into focus…

Ocean Shore
The shore extends as far as you can see to the north and south–virgin land, the only sign of human intrusion the footprints in the sand, a single set leading away towards an opening in the trees to the northeast. To the west, the ocean stretches to the horizon, its surface broken by small waves that are almost ripples. A moist breeze comes off the water.
In the distance to the south, you can see a stream flowing into the ocean.
A large rock juts out from the sand beside you.

There is a homelike feeling about this place, about everything around you–but then too, there is a feeling of being a stranger in a strange land. It’s hard to untwine the two, to figure out which is stronger, or more genuine. The timeless moment as you awoke is past, and your mind fills with unanswered questions.

You have a silver locket (being worn) and your tunic (being worn).

[/code]

Looks like we can go south or examining the rock.
let me know.
Rob

Synopsis (please help me):
[rant]Our character has suddenly risen up from the depth of the ocean, arriving at an ocean shore. A black figure was beside us. We worn a locket and the figure wen away. After some rest we wake up again at the ocean shore, at dawn. Apparently, we’ve to explore (both the world and out past history).[/rant]

Thank you.
Given the playtime frequence, there’s no problem in opening a second [collective play].
Let me know if you would like to “start the ball”.
Rob

x rock, x footprints, ne

[code]>x rock
A large stone juts out from the sand, its jagged edges slicing the waves as they wash over it. You might be able to pick it up, but it would be a struggle. You notice a dark patch on one of the higher protrusions, even though the waves don’t reach that high.

x footprints
Your eyes follow the trail of footprints from near the surf where you awoke, to an opening in the trees to the northeast. They point in the direction of the ocean, and are spaced apart as if whoever made them was running at full speed.

You wince as a splinter of pain shoots through your forehead. The sting gradually dies back down into a dull ache you had not noticed before. [/code]

I didn’t move because I’d like to “X” the dark patch.
And also the footprints are interesting. So someone run from the forest to the ocean.
x patch and then go northeast?
Rob

OK, x patch, and then maybe push rock?

[code]>x patch
A large stone juts out from the sand, its jagged edges slicing the waves as they wash over it. You might be able to pick it up, but it would be a struggle. You notice a dark patch on one of the higher protrusions, even though the waves don’t reach that high.

push rock
Pushing the stone doesn’t do anything.

stand on rock
You can’t stand on that.

l
Ocean Shore
The shore extends as far as you can see to the north and south–virgin land, the only sign of human intrusion the footprints in the sand, a single set leading away towards an opening in the trees to the northeast. To the west, the ocean stretches to the horizon, its surface broken by small waves that are almost ripples. A moist breeze comes off the water.
In the distance to the south, you can see a stream flowing into the ocean.
A large rock juts out from the sand beside you.
[/code]

Mmm… looks like there’s nothing to do.
West, Northeast, or South?
Rob

Let’s just try “get rock” once and then ne.

[code]>get rock
You dig the stone up out of the wet sand, and heft it into your arms.

look under rock
There’s nothing under the stone.

ne
Pathway
This path opens out to the ocean shore to the west; to the northeast it rises sharply–so steep that you would have to clamber up, were there not a stairway of tiers dug into the incline, seemingly by someone who passes this way often. Low trees overhang the path on either side, casting a dappled shadow over you. You notice some ripe nuts hanging low from a nearby ch’nuka.
Small blue-green spheres hover low to the ground, lining the path on either side.

i
You have a silver locket (being worn), your tunic (being worn), and a stone. [/code]

A lot of things to do, apparently.
x spheres?
And… what about making a map?
Edit: Here it is. :wink:

Rob

We don’t need no map! Long live the mapless revolution! :laughing:

Try “x stairway/tiers/trees/path/nuts/ch’nuka/spheres”. Also “take nuts” if is seems reasonable after examining.

[code]>x stairway
A sort of primitive stairway has been dug into the northeast path, making the climb a little easier.

x path
I don’t see that here.

x tiers
A sort of primitive stairway has been dug into the northeast path, making the climb a little easier.

x trees
All kinds of trees thrive in the western maritime climate. Kushas and fern-leaved talamyrs, indigenous for hundreds of thousands of years, mingle freely with younger ch’nuka trees, their trunks adorned with the occasional vine climbing towards the sun. The delicate jinna has been almost eradicated in every place where humans cluster, but here, buffered well away from civilization, the flash of its silvery leaves still catches your eye now and again.

You notice some ripe nuts hanging low from a nearby ch’nuka.

x nuts
Some ripe nuts hang low from a nearby ch’nuka.

x ch’nuka
All kinds of trees thrive in the western maritime climate. Kushas and fern-leaved talamyrs, indigenous for hundreds of thousands of years, mingle freely with younger ch’nuka trees, their trunks adorned with the occasional vine climbing towards the sun. The delicate jinna has been almost eradicated in every place where humans cluster, but here, buffered well away from civilization, the flash of its silvery leaves still catches your eye now and again.

You notice some ripe nuts hanging low from a nearby ch’nuka.

x spheres
The spheres are unmistakably a mental projection, and a gentle enough illusion that you can tune them out with but a slight effort. Nevertheless, they have an air of belonging, blending in almost seamlessly with their surroundings. The colors swirl as you gaze into one of them, evoking the sense of a miniature sea contained within.

take nuts
It’s too awkward to hold anything else while you’re carrying that stone. [/code]

Drop the stone and take the nuts?
Rob

Drop the stone and take deeeeez nuts! (Except don’t type “deeeez.” This is probably not a game in which the author will have allowed the parser to understand “deez nutz” for my own amusement, especially because no one can agree on how to spell it anyway.)

About the map – the image is wider than the window I usually read the forum in, so it kind of goofs up the display. Also, I agree with climbingstars that we don’t need a map after every new room – maybe once things get complicated we can ask to look at the map again.

[code]>drop the stone
Dropped.

take nuts
You pick a large nut off the nearby ch’nuka.

x nut
The nut is ripe.

[/code]

Northeast up to the stairway?

About the map.
I’ll reduce dimension. I think that a mini-map is useful.
Rob

I tend to think that it’s best to imagine a map in your own mind, that way you get a unique view on the games world.

I’ll go with that, although you might want to try “touch sphere” or “rub sphere” first. I could be wrong, but I get the impression that they’re more than just scenery.

Sorry for delay.
I’ve been abroad for work.
Tomorrow I’ll get back with the game.
Rob

[code]>touch sphere
The sphere gives way when you poke it, like a bubble of water, but returns to its former shape as soon as you pull back.

rub sphere
The sphere gives way when you poke it, like a bubble of water, but returns to its former shape as soon as you pull back.

ne
Fork in Path
The path descends to the southwest, turns here, and widens as it climbs up to the north, where a set of tiers has been dug into the incline. A smaller branch descends slightly to the southeast. Foliage of all kinds shades the pathway, fern-leaf talamyrs alongside the towering, dark green ch’nukas and paler kushas. The undergrowth is thick with grasses and vines, some of the latter spiraling their way up the trunks and vying for sunlight.
Small blue-green spheres hover low to the ground, lining the northern path on either side.

i
You have a silver locket (being worn), your tunic (being worn), and a large nut.[/code]

Rob

North, I guess. Or maybe south east, if you can go that way.

[code]>n
Hilltop
The ground drops away on all sides from this clearing, affording you a view of a sea of treetops to the east, and beyond, the faint outline of a cityscape. To the west is the glittering expanse of the ocean, separated from you by a narrow band of woods. A single winding path leads down into the trees to the south.
Near the center of the clearing, a triangle of talamyrs form a natural shelter, roofing the area with a blanket of overlapping fern-leaves. The sheltered spot has been turned into a loose enclosure by woven reeds which hang all around from the outer branches, blocking the view of what lies within.
A young jinna tree has been carefully planted just outside the triangle, surrounded by a ring of the same blue-green spheres that led you here.

For a moment, it doesn’t register, but then you see all too clearly–the guardian from your dream. It stands by the shelter real as day, regarding you with the same hollow stare. Unheeding of the sunlight, a cold wind blows through you.

x enclosure
A triangle of talamyrs form a natural shelter around the center of the clearing, roofing the area with a blanket of overlapping fern-leaves. The sheltered spot has been turned into a loose enclosure by woven reeds which hang all around from the outer branches, blocking the view of what lies within.

x figure
You see a tall figure covered in black robes, the only parts visible its head, and a bony arm lifted at you as if to warn you against proceeding further. While it is Dyrana in form, you hesitate to call it human: its features are a grotesque distortion of human features. Its face protrudes unnaturally far, coming almost to a point, like the raptor-illusions warriors use to scare outsiders. Its skin is a darker shade of gray than any Dyrana’s should be, almost black, and it does not have the sheen of life about it, but the dullness of dead embers. The eyes you stare into aren’t really eyes, just holes where eyes should be.
The guardian’s form is vividly real, a spot of darkness that draws your eyes towards it no matter how you try to look elsewhere.

x tree
A young jinna tree about your height grows amidst the grass near the shelter, surrounded by a ring of hovering, blue-green spheres. Its slender, silvery-green leaves grow in profusion, one of the healthiest of its kind you can remember seeing. The jinna flourished in the ages before civilization, but have since dwindled and retreated from the cities into places such as this. Perhaps this one will have a chance to grow to maturity, before the boundary is pushed back again.

i
You have a silver locket (being worn), your tunic (being worn), and a large nut. [/code]

Map up to now is here:
robertograssi.net/wp-content … ct-map.png

Any idea?
There’s an enclosure with, possibly, something protected by a guardian similar to the one at the beginning.
Rob

How about “climb tree”, “talk to figure” and “enter enclosure”? Also, since the nut is ripe, maybe “crack/open/break nut”.

Any news on progress here?