Code of Conduct / Community Standards

Good suggestions busterwrites.

Iā€™m down with 99% of your suggestion, but I would like to see this line modified:

to:

Donā€™t advocate or carry out hate speech, or direct violence at any member of our community, or advertise/recruit for any group involved with the same.

ā€œDonā€™t claim someone canā€™t disagree with you based on who they are or what group they belong to.ā€

I donā€™t remember anyone actually asserting this, which makes me worried that it will be used on implied infractions. Is there recent behavior that would be discouraged under this guideline?

Thatā€™s concerning, since GG isnā€™t an organization; it has no membership rolls, no leaders, no official platform; itā€™s just a hashtag that means something different to everyone, and itā€™s hard to make any general statements about it that arenā€™t true of any other group of people to some extent. Is there a better example of the type of group this is intended to target? If not, perhaps we should just skip it.

The sort of thing Iā€™m concerned about is exemplified by this comment from earlier in the thread, in which it was asserted that because of his demographics, one poster should have to put up with being made uncomfortable by anotherā€™s comments:

i cant think of a single post where i ever attacked or singled someone out or called them misogynistic

it is uncomfortable to have to think about gender and race but me taking up a few lines out of the 15 pages of mostly men talking to mention those subjects is not the crime

Ok, you know what? This needs to be said.

GamerGate is not an organization, no, but I can certainly make statements about it that arenā€™t true of any other group.

Most groups werenā€™t born out of a harassment campaign. Most groups donā€™t have exclusively reactionary far-right figureheads. Most groups donā€™t systemically drive low-paid women out of the industry, one by one. Most groups arenā€™t driven by people ā€“ people who have literally been ousted from 4chan ā€“ planning ā€œoperationsā€ to defund targeted websites.

I have been personally harassed by 'gaters without even picking a fight. Iā€™ve had anonymous people telling me they would make a rape simulator for my #RuinJam mascot. I was discussed in the IRC chatlogs where /v/ was strategizing about how to best hurt Zoe Quinn. I have been insulted, deliberately misgendered, and seen my friends harmed.

Youā€™re right, though; GamerGate isnā€™t an organization. Itā€™s a harassment campaign.

And if being ā€˜all-inclusiveā€™ means giving their supporters airtime or soliciting their participation here? Thatā€™s a valid choice, but Iā€™m not the only person who will walk away from this site and not look back.

Iā€™m troubled by the notion of a CoC that effectively says ā€œDonā€™t bring up privilege if people donā€™t like talking about it.ā€

Folks on all sides of that issue have been harassed. Tempers flare up every time itā€™s mentioned anywhere. A rule against discussing it at all would be worth considering.

But if being ā€œall-inclusiveā€ means taking an official stance that only one position on that issue may be expressed, then Iā€™m not the only person who will walk away from this site and not look back, either.

Letā€™s hope it doesnā€™t come to that for anyone.

Perhaps movement is a better word. The situation it seems we are running into is half the community feels GG is a ā€œhate movementā€ and half the community does not. We are looking for a way to address the issue as it will undoubtedly come up again and continue to cause major division.

Preview edit:

And itā€™s come up again. Should we get it all out of our system here? Should we open a thread in off-topic to discuss? Iā€™m certain it will get very very ugly. Should we all admit itā€™s too toxic for this community and agree not to talk about it? Should we put in the Code of Conduct a line or two recommending that we avoid divisive subject matter (i.e. politics, religion, GG)? I donā€™t know the right answer here.

I think itā€™s more likely that three quarters of the community really donā€™t understand GG, and almost everyone wishes that we werenā€™t having this discussion at all.

We canā€™t avoid divisive subject matters because these days nearly everything is political somewhere.

Discussing privilege is quite a bit different from holding some posters to a different standard than others based on their gender.

Weā€™re discussing politics now. This thread is about the politics of our group.

In the past weā€™ve agreed (without an explicit rule) to avoid divisive issues that arenā€™t on topic. Discussion of the GG thing is divisive but itā€™s impossible to say itā€™s off-topic. How (various kinds of) IF are treated among (various groups of) gamers has been at the core of it since ā€“ well, since a Twine game came up for Steam Greenlight discussion.

Suggestion: agree to avoid the ā€œGamerGateā€ label, since it manifestly means different things to me and to vaporware (just to name two of us). I donā€™t expect to resolve that disagreement here and I donā€™t even want to try. But possibly we can talk about inclusivity and about journalism and about how IF is treated among gamers without immediately hitting a conversation-ending wall.

Or maybe not. Maybe this does end with some forum regulars bailing. Itā€™s not like thatā€™s never happened.

whether or not people wanted to be part of this forum regularly, this should have been a safer space for authors to participate in the IF comp. the authorā€™s forum has been decent, but the rest has failed to be safe even for the relatively short time during which the comp is held.

women are being talked over, ignored, singled out for voicing their opinions, and reminded of harassment that should never have been brought into this space. the emotional cost of participating in these discussions has been made too high.

whatever your opinion about any of this, the pragmatic outcome is less women, of all kinds, newcomer and veteran, both those who have spoken up, and those who have remained silent. that is a problem.

I donā€™t know how to have a discussion about it without calling it by its name. Any conversation about inclusiveness and journalism in gaming right now is a conversation about GG.

Iā€™m open to a discussion. I can at least promise I will be civil. However, I wouldnā€™t be participating because Iā€™m interested in hearing more about it or because I think I can convince anyone of my arguments. It would be to: a) allow an opportunity for people to have a say on the issue, as it seems several are itching to do so, and b) get it out of the way, so we can move on.

I also support not discussing it at all. However, if a discussion were to happen, it should not be in this thread. We should stick to the Code of Conduct topic.

I like that suggestion zarf. Avoiding the label while allowing discussion on associated issues sounds wise, as long as the discussions remain nonabusive.

Do you have specific posts in mind that you believe should be banned by a code of conduct? It would be helpful to see examples.

Idk I just think the person who explicitly described her harassment shouldnā€™t have had to deal with that drama being brought into the space. Itā€™s not a particularly theoretical discussion for some of us.

Iā€™ve opened a separate topic to discuss GamerGate at https://intfiction.org/t/gamergate/7486/1.

If the mods prefer to have them combined, Iā€™ll move that post over to here.

I am increasingly feeling like moderation is not going to solve what appears to be community issues, and this goes for everything thatā€™s been discussed. I donā€™t think I have much to further contribute to a CoC discussion. Iā€™m gonna step away from these discussions and try to take some space.

Iā€™ll sleep on this, but it seems like a good idea for me to leave the forum; it doesnā€™t seem like my relationship with it is beneficial to either of us.