Clickable in-line options that repeat

I’m using Twine version 2.3.14 and I am a complete beginner, so apologies for not even knowing if I’ve put this question in the correct place.
I’m able to make branching story paths using the very simple Link button, but I’ve been trying to emulate something I encountered in BornToPootle’s “Ostrich”. In that story, there are several times where the player can click on yellow text inside a sentence to change what it says, and after a brief moment it triggers the if/then conditional to determine what the next line of text will be. I know how to do the if/then part, but what I really want to do is have the same rotating list of in-line text that triggers it. I’ve tried creating the text options I want as hooks, but after clicking the first word, it moves to the second and it can’t be clicked. My hook structure looks like this:
You’re not going to school or work today. You grab some [eggs]<eggs|
(click: ?eggs)[(replace: ?eggs)[sausage]<sausage|]
(click: ?sausage)[(replace: ?sausage)[pancakes]<pancakes|]
(click: ?pancakes) [(replace: ?pancakes)[eggs]<eggs|]
I can get from eggs to sausage, but sausage doesn’t appear as a clickable link. Any help would be appreciated, as I am trying to offer this option for my more advanced students in a game design class. Thank you.

1 Like

Please use the </> Preformatted text option when including code examples in your comments, it make the code easier to read & copy, and stops the forum’s software for converting valid Standard quotes into invalid Typographical (curvy) quotes.

You’re not going to school or work today. You grab some [eggs]<eggs|
(click: ?eggs)[(replace: ?eggs)[sausage]<sausage|]
(click: ?sausage)[(replace: ?sausage)[pancakes]<pancakes|]
(click: ?pancakes) [(replace: ?pancakes)[eggs]<eggs|]

The effect you’re describing is commonly known as “cycling text”, and Harlowe included a (cycling-link:) macro you can use to achieve that effect.

You’re not going to school or work today. You grab some (cycling-link: "eggs", "sausages", "pancakes")
2 Likes

Awesome, thank you!