Chess Chats

In only 9 moves, not bad!

1 Like

With 4 extra seconds on my clock! That’s pretty much muscle memory, automatic moves.

1 Like

I found another computer weakness. 3 candidate moves. Which is best? The computer evaluated -5 for Black advantage.

BtW2

I win the Queen with Qc2! That’s a -14 advantage! The computer totally missed it!

Edit: This is actually a combo from 24… Bc3! Depth 20 eval confirms it.

From this game:

Chess: hdndu vs rangstorm - Chess.com

1 Like

That’s a rare one. Two Queens working together separately. Isn’t that an oxymoron? :crazy_face:

Pterodactyl Defense?!

The computer evaluates Rook promotion as -19, and only -10 for Queen? Still the old bug, I see.

From this game:

The game may continue this way. Witness the power of Knight Pair for defense!

2 Likes

Accidental Greatness.

I thought I was losing, and launched a desperate all-out attack. Although scary, it wasn’t that good of an attack. It’s a good thing my opponent isn’t that good either.

And the fact that I got 4 great moves in a row before mating shows how capricious the situation was.

From this game:

One of those play long enough and often enough, and you get it kind of thing.

2 Likes

Knight-pair as Attackers instead of Defenders work, too. :grin:

From this game:

And I sacrificed the Rook! (brilliant!)

1 Like

Triple Fork Mate :rofl:

From this game:

That’s how I roll… :smirk::kissing:

Edit:
There’s actually a double fork mate with 20… Qe1+ 21… Nc2#

1 Like

A Knight’s Tale of Brilliant Sacrifice

Black has just captured my Knight on d5. Can you spot a devastating 4 move combo? BTW, I have 6 seconds left on my clock. I mostly premove my moves except for some reactionary moves in the middle, gaining 10 seconds and never losing any time, ending the game at 16 seconds time available.

WtW4

1. QxQ 2. RxR 3. RxB 4. RxP, followed by RxP, Rc4 and push the pawn to promotion. Then mate by QR ladder.

I will get her back! :triumph:

From this game:

Edit: Seems like my reaction time have improved.

1 Like

That’s kind of cool: You are fast.

I didn’t see the queen move. I would have tried Qa6.

1 Like

Good spotting! That was a computer recommended move while I still have the Knight on the board. I actually missed that, so intend as I am to sacrifice the knight.

1 Like

Pin or Skewer?

Is the King skewered to the Rook, or the Rook pinned to the King?

I don’t understand the question but I guess this move:

1. … Kxg4
  2. Rxh3
1 Like

Pin: Rook between King and attacking piece.
Skewer: King between Rook and attacking piece.

It’s tactics in the X-Ray group. Basically two ways to look at the same thing since there are Rooks at both ends at the same time.

Although the “pin” isn’t really a normal pin because the Rook is hanging/unguarded, except indirectly by the Rook X-ray from the other side.

1 Like

If anyone cares: I think the German chess terms are Fesselung (pin) and Spieß (skewer).

1 Like

My Longest 1 Minute Game (So Far!)

I’m winning the game, but time is tight! 2.5 seconds left.

The game actually finished 20 moves later at move 68.

From this game:

Which side is which now? Both Kings are on the opposite side! :rofl:

91.3% Accuracy, BTW :laughing:

1 Like

You Will Never Get Her Back spoiler.

2 Likes

Regarding that video: It says " 90% Of Chess Players Fail To Solve This “Easy” Endgame Puzzle". And they are right. I both didn’t see/find the first white move, and not the promoting to a rook (instead of to a queen).

2 Likes

A really clearyfing video. I have enjoyed it a lot. That was a game we couldn’t beat when betatesting in IFMUD…
I really love Andrew Schulz IF chess games.

1 Like

The computer says Black to Mate in 13!? Surely you can do better than that!

I didn’t do better because of time pressure, so I took the easy way out.

Can we say Black is screwed by White’s Pincer Attack? Simultaneous Pin and Skewer.