Character Titles Mr Mrs Dr etc Inform 7

Hi all,
I have inform 7 and have seemed to have mastered a speech table except my character “Sgt Spooner” can only be referred to as spooner for the Table to work I can’t seem to use his title of sgt. Is ther a way of doing this
code below.

Spooner is in the outer office.

After asking Spooner about a topic listed in the Table of Spooners Replies, say "he replies [responce entry].".
[We can then provide a simple table giving his responses:]

Table of Spooners  Replies
Topic	Responce
"calliope"	"epic poetry"
"clio"	"history"
"erato"	"love poetry"
"euterpe"	"music"
"melpomene"	"tragedy"
"polyhymnia"	"sacred poetry"
"terpsichore"	"dancing"
"thalia"	"comedy"
"urania"	"astronomy"
"monica"	"tidiness"
"phoebe"	"massage"
"rachel"	"oval hair-cuts"

(Edited by Mod to tag code)

I don’t think I understand the problem; can you show some code that you think ought to work but doesn’t?

This works:

Sgt Spooner is a man. 
Sgt Spooner is in the Outer Office.

After asking Sgt Spooner about a topic listed in the Table of Spooners Replies: [etc]

(Actually you don’t need to write the Sgt after the first line. If the character is introduced as Sgt Spooner, Inform will understand Spooner as referring to him.)

Hi thanks for the reply, I saw you had put “sgt Spooner is a man” and although I listed him as a person i realised i had missed the sgt off that phrase adding “sgt Spooner is a person” corrected the issue.
I must have gone “word blind”
Thank you again for taking the time to answer.

1 Like

I have a character in my game called Humboldt but their proper name is “Dr. Humboldt”.

Humboldt is a person.
Humboldt is a male.

The printed name of Humboldt is "Dr. Humboldt"

Understand "doctor" or "physician" or "dr" or "psychologist" or "alienist" or "dr humboldt" as Humboldt.

I wanted to let the player be able to refer to this character in a variety of ways

>examine dr. humboldt
A reputable physician and alienist, he has also known Wells for years. You are confident that his methodical nature, combined with his diagnostic skills, will enable him to determine what ails your friend.

>examine dr humboldt
A reputable physician and alienist, he has also known Wells for years. You are confident that his methodical nature, combined with his diagnostic skills, will enable him to determine what ails your friend.

>examine humboldt

I used Emily Short’s Punctuation Removal extension to allow me to refer to this character in a variety of ways.

Include Punctuation Removal by Emily Short.

After reading a command:
	resolve punctuated titles.

The extension is built-in to Inform 7 v1.68 (6M62). There is documentation included in the extension.

Hopefully this helps.

2 Likes