Changing the parser message for doorways and rooms

I want to change the parser message when a player walks through a doorway.

This is what I get normally, when the door is scenery.

This is some kind that I tried to change the message a little bit.

[code]
LR is a door. The printed name of LR is “Living room doorway”. Understand “Living room doorway” as LR. It is north of the foyer and south from the living room. It is scenery. The LR door can be explored or unexplored. The LR door is unexplored.

After opening the LR door:
now the LR door is explored;
say “Test”[/code]

But I got these error messages:

What am I doing wrong here and is there some other better/different way I can change the awkward default messages the player gets when they walk through rooms and doorways?

[code]“test” by Hanon Ondricek

Living room is a room. “Hello, here’s the living room.”

Foyer is a room. “This is the foyer.”

A door can be explored.

LR is a door. It is north of living room and south of foyer. The printed name of LR is “living room doorway”. Understand “door/doorway” and “living room doorway” as LR.

After opening LR:
now LR is explored;
say “Test.”[/code]

Thanks!

This doesn’t change the (first opening door) message like I thought actually. Also I still get the message even if the door is locked. How can I get rid of/alter default parser messages entirely?

So if I don’t include:

This is scenery.

I get this when entering hallway:

I didn’t want that so I included the above piece of code. But for whatever reason that reintroduces the (first opening door) message, even if the door is locked.

I think I might include the description of the rooms in the description of the hallway and just let the message of:

show up regardless. Its the only thing I can think of right now.

If I understand you correctly, this is the message you are trying to change:

To find out what rule is printing that message, you can type the RULES command and then try the action that leads to that message. In this case, it’s the “can’t go through closed doors rule.”

If you type RESPONSES, and look up the “can’t go through closed doors rule”, you can see that response (A) is “(first opening [the door gone through])[command clarification break]”.

To change that response, you say whatever you want the new message to be, for instance:

can’t go through closed doors rule response (A) is “(Since the door is closed, you try to open it first.)[command clarification break]”.

I suppose if you didn’t want anything at all, you could try changing the response to “”.

Chapter §14.11 in the manual talks about changing responses.

This helps. I was trying to alter the “you-can-also-see” rule response the same way but I’m just changing some of it for some reason.

May I ask why this is, and also what exactly (A) and [command clarification break] is?

It was changing just the first word “You” by getting rid of it and some of the punctuation was being changed depending on how I edited the response. But I couldn’t get rid of the message entirely.

Sometimes a rule will have several different responses it can print. Each response in a rule is labeled with a different letter in parentheses so you can specify which response you want to change.

The you-can-also-see rule has several responses:

you-can-also-see rule response (A): "[We] "
you-can-also-see rule response (B): "On [the domain] [we] "
you-can-also-see rule response (C): "In [the domain] [we] "
you-can-also-see rule response (D): "[can] also see "
you-can-also-see rule response (E): "[can] see "
you-can-also-see rule response (F): " here"

If you change only (A), the other responses will stay the same.

Section §5.8 in the manual explains command clarification breaks better than I could.