Changing a custom value of a thing with an action. [I7]

I’m implementing an alarm clock on a cell phone.
I added a number called “alarm status” to the item “your cell phone”.

The problem I’m having is changing this number with an action, like in the following where I try to use a snoozing action to change the alarm status.

I get this error: “Change the alarm status of your cell phone to 1.” is a phrase I don’t recognize.
I saw the ‘change the [property] of [object] to [value]’ approach used in an example so I can’t see why it isn’t working here.

[code]Your cell phone is a device. Your cell phone is switched on.
Your cell phone has a number called alarm status.
Your cell phone has an alarm status 2.
[alarm status 0=off, 1=snooze, 2=ringing]

Every turn: If the alarm status of your cell phone is 2, say “The alarm clock siren continues to play loudly from your cell phone.” I get an error that 'Change the alarm status of
The description of your cell phone is “A trusty old smartphone. The screen proudly displays that it is currently [time of day]”.

Snoozing is an action applying to nothing.
Understand “hit snooze” or “snooze” or “push snooze” as snoozing.
Check snoozing:
if the player does not carry your cell phone:
say “You’ll need to grab your phone before you can hit snooze.” instead.
Carry out snoozing:
Change the alarm status of your cell phone to 1.
Report snoozing:
say “You hit the snooze button on the phone and fall asleep almost instantly in the comforting silence.”[/code]

The deprecated “change…to” phrasing was removed in the latest release. You have to use “now…is” instead.

Carry out snoozing: now the alarm status of your cell phone is 1.

That said, in Inform 7 it’s more common to use named values to keep track of states. You could do this instead of the alarm status variable:

[code]Your cell phone can be off, snoozing or ringing. Your cell phone is ringing.

Every turn: If your cell phone is ringing, say “The alarm clock siren continues to play loudly from your cell phone.”

[…]

Carry out snoozing:
now the cell phone is snoozing.[/code]