By what music do you code?

I usually swear by Stéphane Pigeon’s mynoise.net. These are soundscapes, but presented without the usual spammy clutter and low-quality adware. These are multilayered noises of high quality. They cover everything you’d think of: purely artificial white- and gray noise; complex mechanical soundscapes; natural ones with wind, fire, rain, waves; chants and drones and throat-singing and instrumental plonking; abstract synthesized musical patterns, ASMR; role-playing backdrops and in-utero noise; binaural beats and neuromodulators. You can mix and match soundscapes here, tweak them, even animate them.

I have ADD and work in an open office. My co-workers rarely bother with moderating their tone or affect. This page has kept me functional and on-track on quite a few days when that would otherwise be a struggle.

1 Like

I hope no one will mind if I bump this thread to recommend @lft’s chip music.

2 Likes

Oh. This is a nice thread. I guess I’ll toss my hat into the ring too.

I listen to a lot of non-english stuff when coding. Mostly asian, so japanese pop, korean pop, chinese pop, etc. When I can understand the lyrics, I get distracted, like someone is constantly talking in my ear, so this helps me. Plus I find the music to be really catchy and fun.

I also listen to dub step and electronic music with the wub wub for the same reason.

One of my favourite sources of music for programming is the predictably-named https://musicforprogramming.net/ - currently 58 sets, each about an hour long, and each set includes the names of each song, in case one of them really catches your attention and you want to find more music by the same artist. You can play the music through your browser, or download MP3s to take with you.

1 Like

Celtic and classical are high on my list. Frequently I’ll play an instrument (often a bagpipe or pennywhistle) as a thinking aid.

Mostly prog rock, some pop or new wave; never hard rock or metal, too distracting.