Buttons no longer working

Twine Version: 2.3.16
Story Format: 2.36.1

I have just started having a new error occur, after having worked perfectly since I started a week or so back.

In StoryInit, I have this:

<<set $Job to false>>

From the Town Centre, where the player can journey to most locations, one of my buttons was this:

<<button "&ensp; Bank &ensp;">><<minutes_incr 15>><<fatigue_change +1>><<goto "Bank">><</button>> (15 min)

And it used to take me to the passage labelled Bank.

Bank.

You enter the bank. What would you like to do?

<<if $Job is false>><<button "&ensp; See the bank manager about a job &ensp;">><<minutes_incr 1>><<goto "Bank Manager">><</button><<else>><<button "&ensp; See the bank manager &ensp;">><<minutes_incr 1>><<goto "Bank Manager">><</button>><</if>>
<<button "&ensp; See a bank teller &ensp;">><<minutes_incr 15>><<goto "Bank Tellers">><</button>>

<<if $Bankaccount is true>>
Make a deposit/withdraw.
<<textbox "$change" "Enter amount">>
<<button "&ensp; Withdraw &ensp;">>
<<if $change lte $Bank>>
	<<set $change to Math.trunc($change)>>
	<<set $Gold += $change>>
	<<set $Bank -= $change>>
	<<replace "#sidebar_gold">><<print $Gold>><</replace>>
	<<replace "#sidebar_bank">><<print $Bank>><</replace>>
<<endif>>
<</button>>
<<button "&ensp; Deposit &ensp;">>
<<if $change lte $Gold>>
	<<set $change to Math.trunc($change)>>
	<<set $Gold -= $change>>
	<<set $Bank += $change>>
	<<replace "#sidebar_gold">><<print $Gold>><</replace>>
	<<replace "#sidebar_bank">><<print $Bank>><</replace>>
<<endif>>
<</button>>
<</if>>

<<button "&ensp; Back to the marketplace &ensp;">><<minutes_incr 15>><<goto "Marketplace">><</button>> (15 min)
<<button "&ensp; To the town centre &ensp;">><<minutes_incr 15>><<goto "Town Centre">><</button>> (15 min)
<<button "&ensp; Go home &ensp;">><<minutes_incr 45>><<goto "Room 23">><</button>> (45 min)

The $Job is false does not display See the bank manager about a job which is should, but does display the other two options there. Maybe the overall problem is related to this, I don’t know.

Anyway, from there I could select whether to see the Bank Manager to the Bank Tellers.

Bank Manager:

<<button "&ensp; Back to the marketplace &ensp;">><<minutes_incr 15>><<goto "Marketplace">><</button>> (15 min)
<<button "&ensp; To the town centre &ensp;">><<minutes_incr 15>><<goto "Town Centre">><</button>> (15 min)
<<button "&ensp; Back to the front of the bank &ensp;">><<minutes_incr 1>><<goto "Bank">><</button>> (1 min)
<<button "&ensp; Go home &ensp;">><<minutes_incr 45>><<goto "Room 23">><</button>> (45 min)

<<bankmanager>>"How can I help you?"<</bankmanager>>

<<button "&ensp; I'm looking for my parents, perhaps they had an account here? &ensp;">><<minutes_incr 1>><<goto "Bank Parents one">><</button>>
<<if $Job is false>><<button "&ensp; I'm looking for a job. &ensp;">><<minutes_incr 1>><<goto "Bank Job">><</button>><<else>>I have a job<</if>>

Bank Tellers is yet to be written. The passage is mostly blank, it only has the same navigation buttons as the Bank and Bank Manager.

The Bank Manager should lead to a passage labelled Bank Parents one, where I had this:

Bank Parents one

<<bankmanager>>"I'm sorry, I can't give you any information on our customers."<</bankmanager>>
"I understand that, but I'm hoping that you might know of them. They've gone missing, and I don't where else to go."

<<bankmanager>>"I see. What were their names?"<</bankmanager>>
"John and Mary $surname"

<<bankmanager>>"Sounds familar. Let me check."<</bankmanager>>
//He goes out to check the records.//

<<button "&ensp; Wait &ensp;">><<minutes_incr 10>><<goto "Bank Parents two">><</button>> Go back to the marketplace &ensp;">><<minutes_incr 15>><<goto "Marketplace">><</button>> (15 min)
<<button "&ensp; Go to the town centre &ensp;">><<minutes_incr 15>><<goto "Town Centre">><</button>> (15 min)
<<button "&ensp; Go back to the front of the bank &ensp;">><<minutes_incr 1>><<goto "Bank">><</button>> (1 min)

The problem is when I click on the first button here, “Wait”, instead of it taking me to the passage Bank Parents two, as it used to, it now takes me all the way back to the Town Centre.

Additionally, now, when I click on the I’m looking for my parents button in Bank Manager, it takes me to the Marketplace, so I can’t even get to the first error anymore.

Is the $job is false causing this, or is that just an extra problem for me to fix?

Not sure if this is the issue, but one of your buttons is missing an end bracket

<<if $Job is false>><<button "&ensp; See the bank manager about a job &ensp;">><<minutes_incr 1>><<goto "Bank Manager">><</button>

It needs another >

1 Like

I found the problem. In the code:

<<button "&ensp; Wait &ensp;">><<minutes_incr 10>><<goto "Bank Parents two">><</button>> Go back to the marketplace &ensp;">><<minutes_incr 15>><<goto "Marketplace">><</button>> (15 min)

Somehow I had deleted the <<button "&ensp from the start of the second button. It automatically took me to the marketlace which was where it should have gone if it had been a working link.

It must have been a sloppy copy/paste job. Totally my own fault.

Thanks for your help and patience.

1 Like