Browser hangs when I play Twine file

If you are requesting technical assistance with Twine, please specify:
Twine Version: 2.5.1
Story Format: Harlowe 3.3.3

I’ve started building a little Twine game with my 6yo son. It seemed to work well, but starting today my browser (Firefox 107.0 on Ubuntu) hangs as soon as I press Play or Test from here. When I open the html-file generated by Publish to File, everything works as expected.

The game is very small and contains no code except the standard [[ ]] hyperlinks.

I’d love to solve this problem myself, but I have no idea how to get any feedback from Twine on what is going wrong! Any help is appreciated.

Does the browser’s error log (the developer console) show any errors?

1 Like

Select Story in the application’s top menu bar, then Details in the lower menu bar, this cause a panel to open in the bottom right corner of the application.

In this panel there will be a Story Format label and to the right of that a dropdown that contains the list of the installed Story Formats. The currently selected Story Format is the one your project is using.

1 Like

Another thing to try that may or may not work - export/publish your story and then re-import it to a new project. I’ve had stuff hang up and then work after doing that.

1 Like

Thanks!

Okay, so this is weird. It turns out that if I open the browser before Twine attempts to do so – so if I have it running with the developer console open, or if I start it from the command line to check for any error messages – then, when Twine opens a new tab to play its story, everything works fine. It is only when the browser is not open yet, that Twine’s opening it leads to a crash. (It shows the opening page of the game, but then is completely unresponsive and is marked by the OS as not responding soon after.)

Relatively easy to work around, but very strange!

1 Like

Wonder if that might be a browser security setting? Like it’s going “hey, this program opened a browser window on it’s own, I’m not displaying anything for safety…”

1 Like

Maybe? But of course lots of programs have a functionality where you can click a link and they open a browser window, so this would be a bit weird! Also, it doesn’t seem much less risky to allow a program to open a tab than allow it to open a window.

Maybe something with certificate/certification - the browser might not recognize Twine as a safe source? That’s only a guess.