Borogove: Online editor for Vorple, Inform, Hugo, Dialog and Ink

Do you mean the interpreter inside the editor? That’s expected, every time you compile a new version it’s considered a different game and old save files aren’t compatible anymore. It’s a technical restriction that can’t be avoided.

1 Like

As far as I know nobody’s picked that up yet so that would be great! Any of the languages would be good but Inform 7 is by far the most popular. Let me know if you need any help with it.

1 Like

Yeah, I thought that might be the case.

The ink compiler (and especially its internal parser) has been ported to js in inkjs (pending review) so I may contribute a linter/highlighter for it later this year or help anyone wanting to devote more time than I have on my hand to this.

3 Likes

Inform 6 has now been updated to 6.36 and PunyInform to 3.5.

Related question, version 6.11 of the standard library is still offered as an option when starting a new I6 project. Does it have any value to anyone or could it be removed? Are there any use cases where library version 6.12.5 wouldn’t work, for example with non-English language libraries?

1 Like

While library 6/11 may still be used for some old projects, I doubt anyone would miss it at Borogove.

Also note that library 6.12.6 has now been released: Inform 6 Standard Library 6.12.6 released

Borogove is down with the error “Could not connect to remote compilation service.” Are there any mirrors or should I just wait for it to go back up?

Temporary server issue, it’s back up!

1 Like

Thank you!

Thanks to @Natrium729 the Inform 7 syntax highlighting is back!

Also the Inform 6 standard library is updated to 6.12.6 and since there were no objections 6.11 has been removed as an option – if someone still needs it, it’s easy to re-add.

3 Likes

I uploaded a game to Borogove in November. I’m now getting this error when I try to access its page:

TypeError: Failed to resolve module specifier './zvm.js'. The base URL is about:blank because import() is called from a CORS-cross-origin script.

If I re-upload the game I get the same problem. Anyone else had this issue?

It seems that Chrome’s security measures have tightened in one of the recent updates, which caused it to fail there. There’s now a temporary fix in place that should make it work again in Chrome browsers.

2 Likes

I am experiencing issues on Borogove when I create a Vorple and Inform 7 game, then try to save the game.

Quixe run: ReferenceError: Buffer is not defined Buffer is not defined ReferenceError

It happens with the default story (so I do not think it is my game) and when I upload to Itch-io (so I do not think it is the server). It happens on Firefox and Chrome.

This is different from the save/restore problem I mentioned above.

Hi Juhana, I just discovered this project; really awesome work! I’m trying to host the project on my own server and was wondering if you were still planning on publishing the source to the i7 compiler service. No worries if it’s low on the list or no longer happening, but I wanted to check before I started trying to hack something together myself!

The plan is to publish the compiler service source once the latest Inform 7 compiler addition has been cleaned up a bit, in a couple of weeks time perhaps. You’re free to use the compiler at i7compiler.borogove.app in the meanwhile (in moderation.)

1 Like

The source for the compiler service is now available: GitHub - borogove-if/i7-compiler-service: Remote Inform 7 compiler service

5 Likes

Awesome, thank you very much for following up! I know what I’ll be playing with today.

1 Like

Since I don’t see that it was ever mentioned here, at some point 6G60 was added!

1 Like

The Inform 7 compiler service for version 10.1.0 is now set up with all of the Friends of I7 extensions so you can just include any of them in the source text and the compiler will have access to them. It downloads a fresh copy of the repository every day.

(6M62 has all the Public Library extensions installed, but it has already had those from the start. 6G60 only has those that came with the standard I7 installation.)

7 Likes

How often is the 10.1.0 version updated? Or is it still the version that was available at the start of May?

I understand if you don’t want to update it all the time. I just want to know if I can use Borogove to test the latest behaviour of Inform.

(In case it’s not updated, maybe add the +6V23 or similar label to the menu in the settings, and the date?)

1 Like