Body Parts

When I enter a command such as “Put hand in water” I get a response “[You do not normally need to refer to parts of the body.]”. That’s normally OK but in this case I am in a torture chamber and I do normally need to refer to parts of the body. How do I over ride this checking? :smiling_imp:

OK, I’m a sadist but that’s the way the game tumbles! :mrgreen:

I7, right?

You must have some extension involved, since I get a “You see no such thing” response from a baseline test. So this may vary depending on the extension and what it’s doing, and what you need to do. That is, if you only really do things with hands, you may only need to add hands.

My body system involves general regions, and I do it by defining a kind, body-part, and then sub-kinds (head, neck, torso, pair of upper arms, etc.) I then say “One head is part of every person” for each body part. I mapped a handful of common anatomy bits as synonyms - ears directs to head, throat to neck, etc. This works, and lets you target body parts, change descriptions, etc. (I also needed to add “The printed name of your pair of upper arms is usually “your upper arms”.” Sigh.)

However, you’re still going to run into issues, because “put hand in water” is absolutely not equivalent to “put socks in closet”. You’re not trying to remove your body parts and stow it - you’re just trying to - what? Wash? Reach? Take something? Touch something?

So you might find it helpful to redirect “inserting a body part into the water” to “touch water” and then handle it from there. (Or vice versa, I guess.)

So you’ll need some grammar workarounds for body parts in general. I can see this getting super-duper tricky if you’re actually implementing injury.

Given the setting, perhaps wgm003 really might want “put hand in water” to mean “Cut off this poor guy’s hand and place it in the bucket of water!” :open_mouth:

Robert Rothman

The response is from Aaron Reed’s Player Experience Upgrade.
You can disable that section of the extension by adding these lines at the bottom of your source text:

Section (in place of Section - Stripping Body Parts in Player Experience upgrade by Aaron Reed) 

How body parts are handled depends a lot on how your game is expected to behave. Should it assume that you always mean your own body? Do you need to refer to the left and the right separately? Can body parts be separately injured, posed, moved, decorated, stimulated or clothed? How much detail is needed? Does the arm include everything in it, or do you need separate objects for elbows and fingers? Are the outside and inside distinct (e.g. stomach vs. belly)?

Once you’ve answered this type of questions, the coding becomes a lot more straightforward. Incorporation seems like an obvious choice for how to model them, but it really depends on the needs of the game-world.

Yeah, that’s my fault. If you upgrade to the latest version of Player Experience Upgrade (or Smarter Parser, if that’s the only one you’re using) the stuff regarding body parts is moved into its own new (and optional) extension called Commonly Unimplemented. (In general also, the documentation for the newest version of these extensions explains how to easily override any of its behaviors that aren’t appropriate for a specific game.)

Now, to make this actually work, you’ll need a way of defining what body parts people have and how they work. Chapter 4.14 of the docs (Assemblies and Body Parts) talks a bit about this.

Once you’d made body parts, you’d need rules to recognize this. The ACTIONS debug verb can tell you that the command “put [something] in [something]” is mapped to the “inserting it into” action, so you’d want a series of rules like this:

Instead of inserting the player's hand into something: say "Are you *sure* you want to do that?"

It gets trickier if you want the player to have two hands, or if there are multiple characters who might have to put their hand into things, etc, but that’s the basic idea.