Bell sound on keystroke input

When I take individual keystroke input (e.g. with “wait for any key” in Basic Screen Effects, or VM_KeyChar() in I6), the interpreter (or at least the built-in Git interpreter on Windows) plays a sound every time I press a key. Is there a way to prevent this?

That’s a “feature” of the IDE terp. I’m not aware of any way to change it. It can get annoying!

Ah, is it only in the IDE? At the moment I’m having slight interpreter difficulties so I can’t test outside the IDE, but if it only happens for me as the author, I can live with it.

AFAIK it is IDE only. I can’t remember hearing it in any of the other Windows terps.

There is no code in the Windows front-end that generates a beep on a key press.

Yeah, I don’t really know what you guys are talking about, and I’m really curious.

This is the code I used.

Include Basic Screen Effects by Emily Short.
There is a room.
Instead of jumping:
    say "Test 1...[run paragraph on]";
    wait for any key;
    say "...Test 2."

When I run this in the Windows IDE, it makes a system bell sound when you give it the keypress.

Could it possibly be that it’s the system sound? And that the reason I, for instance, don’t hear anything, is that my Windows is configured not to have any such system sounds?

That would likely be it. It’s the default system “alert” or “bell” or whatever sound, the one that plays when you adjust the volume or print a \a in the console.

It’s probably unintended, so it may be worth a bug report? On the grounds that it gets annoying.