Backdrops versus shifting scenery around in a hub/spoke map

The “Dubai” example in the Inform IDE is useful, but it doesn’t answer what might be a more specific and less complex question. For instance, the elevator there might not allow for stairs between floors, so you need a backdrop in all elevator-y rooms for simplicity.

I have a hub/spoke map in my game. There’s an item called a lift that can take you from, say, area 0 to areas 1-6. So the command LIFT 1 would put you into spoke 1, LIFT 0 to the hub, etc. The spokes do not overlap.

Is there any reason to prefer backdrops over, say, a

hub-room is a room.

the lift is scenery in hub-room.

spokegoing is an action applying to one number.
understand "lift [number]" as spokegoing.

carry out spokegoing:
    let go-room be a room that varies.
    if number understood > 0 or number understood < 6: say "Only 1-6, with 0 for the hub.";
    if number understood is 0: now go-room is hub-room;
    if number understood is 1: now go-room is spoke-1-room; [etc.]
    if go-room is location of player, say "Already here.";
    move lift to go-room;
    move player to go-room;

Am I missing any functionality by going with scenery instead of a backdrop?

Certainly, for my code, backdrops seem to cause some unnecessary snarls in definitions and such and checking error cases. So I was wondering if there was any obvious reason I couldn’t get away with this.

The benefit of a backdrop is that the library moves it around behind the scenes to always stay in the player’s location. If there’s another way to travel between spokes other than the lift, the player can now leave the lift behind and get stranded.

If you don’t need the backdrop to move around on its own, then scenery works just fine.