Avoiding a loop!

First things first: is it OK to ask for help with the coding of a game now running for the IFComp2011?

Before saying anything else, I’d like to know it. :slight_smile:

Thanks all!

Almost certainly not. But if it’s an I7 problem, feel free to send me a private message or an email.

Or ask in the author’s forum. (But I’m sure Victor will be able to help you.)

Kevin

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with asking technical questions during the comp. Just make a stand-alone example that demonstrates the problem instead of showing code from the comp game.

(Note: I’m not an IFComp official so you might want to check with Stephen just to make sure.)

Ok, I will pm Victor as soon as I know about an eventual rule-breaking.

I’m actually from the future, being from Italy (— which is the country more DISTANT from the future one can think of: you know, the politics aren’t quite helping, these days…), so it will have to wait until I’m back home. That will be at my 9PM… and your 3PM…

Thanks for the help!

How can it be six hours time difference between Italy and the Netherlands? Or did I misunderstand something?

Oh well. I’m so used to’ thinking all IFers Are from the USA… :slight_smile:

You’d be surprised – there are a lot of Europeans on the forum, some Australians, and perhaps some people from other time zones as well. :slight_smile:

As Juhana pointed out, I was probably a bit too hasty in my first post: you can certainly ask a techincal question if you don’t tie it too closely to your game. But feel free to PM me anyway.

I’m reminded of Umberto Eco’s book entitled (in English translation) The Island of the Day Before. The premise of the book is a belief (which I assume is based on what was actually generally believed during the period) that the location of the prime meridian is not simply an arbitrary choice, but rather an absolute location, such that “today” and “tomorrow” (or “yesterday”) are defined in absolute terms. The protagonist finds himself on a ship anchored a short distance away from an island, with the prime meridian in between. The result is that when he looks towards the island, he is seeing “yesterday” – or, from the perspective of somebody on the island, the man on the ship is indeed “from the future.”

Robert Rothman